Peace, Love, Natural Birth


By week 30, there are a lot of items checked off of our “before baby to do list”. However, there is still a lot of “checking off” left to do. One of the major items on the list is preparing the birth plan! One of the most common questions that people have been asking me is, “so, are you having an epidural or not?” and my answer is “no epidural”. The reactions vary from person to person, but mostly I hear “are you crazy?”, “why would you want to do that?” or “so you’re wanting to be a tough girl, huh?”. Am I crazy? Yes, I’m crazy (but it’s not because I don’t want to have an epidural). I’ve done a lot of research, prayed for guidance, discussed the options with my husband and my doctor and talked to many Mommies who have gone with the natural childbirth option, so to me, the answers to these questions are simple.

“Why would you want to do that?”. I am choosing natural childbirth for many reasons. Most natural childbirth techniques are not invasive so there’s very little potential for harm or side effects to me or my baby. With an epidural, I feel there’s a loss of sensation and alertness. Without the epidural, I hope to be able to move around more freely and find positions that help me stay comfortable during labor and allow my body to do what it’s naturally made to do during childbirth. Many women who choose an epidural are in need of interventions (i.e. bladder catheter, vacuum extraction, forceps delivery or Pitocin - to make contractions stronger).  I am choosing natural childbirth to –hopefully – reduce risks that medication could pose for both me and baby Colton.

“So you’re wanting to be a tough girl, huh?”. Well, I think that any woman who carries a baby for 9 months and then delivers that baby – no matter the method – is a tough girl. But no, that’s not the reason for choosing a natural childbirth. By choosing this method, I am accepting the potential for greater pain and discomfort but I am also accepting the fact that I will have greater control over my body. No matter how well-prepared and confident I am, I realize that nature can throw me a curve ball and I might need medical interventions to manage pain for the safety of myself and my baby. I will not – in any way – risk the health or safety of Colton or myself to prove a point or be a “tough girl”.

1.       Choose a supportive practitioner
2.       Select a place of birth that will help you
3.       Have a birth plan
4.       Hire a doula
5.       Learn about labor positioning
6.       Use a birth ball
7.       Take a childbirth class
8.       Read a good book
9.       Get support from like-minded friends and family
10.   Learn about pain relieving techniques

Some people say that having an epidural is the “easy way” in childbirth. I have never had a child, but I can say there’s probably not an “easy way”. Each birthing method is a personal choice and I don’t feel that there’s a wrong or right way, only the best way that makes each of us feel most comfortable.  Having support from those around me makes a huge difference in my decision. It’s easy to feel unsure, discouraged and question my decision when I constantly hear how “crazy” I am for choosing natural childbirth. I’m so lucky to have a supportive husband, family and doctor who are encouraging me in my choice. I know that childbirth is going to be hard and I know it’s going to be the worst pain I’ve ever felt. But, if I can endure the pain, long enough to get my precious baby boy into this world, then I’m going to give it my best shot.


Helpful Natural Childbirth Sites                                    Reading Material I found helpful
www.mothersnaturally.org                                            Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin
www.bradleybirth.com                                                   Birthing from Within by Pam England
www.haveanaturalchildbirth.com                                Journey Into Motherhood by Sherri L. Menelli
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

Throwback Thursday

The Best Is Yet To Come