Communicating with Women

In a previous post, I talked about communicating with men, and I said that I would leave communicating with women for another day. Well, today is another day! Because marriage takes work, I’m always looking for helpful information in regards to better communication between a husband and a wife – or men and women in general – and I’m always trying to better myself as a communicator. Just because a person may talk a lot, does not make them good at communicating.

Ron Edmondson’s website is full of helpful information – food for thought – when it comes to communication. I refer to his website http://www.ronedmondson.com/2011/07/5-tips-when-communicating-with-women.html for 5 Tips when Communicating with Women. I feel like understanding myself as a women is just as important as understanding my husband. Ron (obviously) is not a woman, but he is a follower of Christ, he does have a degree in counseling and he does have a wife of his own, so I find his points pretty much on target – at least with how I feel. The following points were made about communicating with women…

1. there may be a deeper meaning
2. emotions are attached so the way you say it is important
3. details are important if attached to someone they love
4. crying is a way to express and release emotions
5. they don’t always need you to fix things, listen as they work through it

I’m sure I’m one of the worst women for feeling an emotion and not knowing how to verbalize it. So, I say something close to it, hoping Matt will understand what’s really wrong. I think the biggest reason I do this is to gain his trust. If I tell him something small – not the entire issue – and if he has sympathy towards the situation, then I can trust him with the whole problem. I think a lot of women do this. It’s not that we don’t say what we mean, but we are sensitive with our emotions, guarded and protective of our feelings and/or being judged for them so it takes a little bit of time to draw out the real issue(s).

I have a very hard time listening to just the “words” without feeling emotion behind them. So, if you say something in a hateful tone to me, I’m going to assume you’re mad at me. Matt used to do this a lot, say something and not pay attention to the tone behind it (he is doing better now that he has a pregnant wife’s emotions to think about). He doesn’t mean the way he says things, it’s just him being a man, simple and to the point. But to me, I take it personally and sometimes let it hurt my feelings. I know that I’m the only one responsible for how somebody makes me feel and I’m trying to do a better job of being less sensitive. As long as he continues to make an effort in the way his words come out – we’ll continue to grow.

Because I am so detail oriented, I sometimes expect Matt to be. I can’t really expect him to go into full detail of what he had for lunch or remember where things are around the house, just because I can. Just as I can’t expect Matt to be into the details, he has to understand that I am. With the understanding that details are important to me, he can learn to respect that part of me and we can balance each other out in our marriage.

 
Crying is such a release. Sometimes (especially these days) I just need to cry. No, I don’t have a reason. No, I’m not mad at you. No, I’m not hurt. Yes, I just need to cry. In the beginning, Matt didn’t understand this at all. Now, he knows that I just cry.  I know that when I cry, it makes Matt uncomfortable. Just like when he gets angry and I get uncomfortable. I try to remember his emotions and either take time for me or simply reassure him that there’s nothing he can do – I just need to release the emotions.  

As a man, and a husband, Matt feels like he needs to fix the problems that come up. A lot of the problems, he can fix. He can fix a leaking sink or kill a spider or change the oil in my car but sometimes, there are problems he can’t fix. When I come home and vent about my day - I don’t want him to fix anything - I just want him to listen. I don’t want him to tell me what I should or shouldn’t do or if I’m wrong or right, I just want him to listen and be supportive while I let out my frustrations.  Of course, when I want his opinion, I’ll ask. We all need someone we can bounce ideas off of, and since Matt is my partner for life, I expect him to be that person.  I’m an independent, strong woman and there are a lot of times, I want to fix things on my own. It doesn’t mean I don’t rely on him, trust him or want him to help me. It just means that there are times that I am expressing hurt to him and I don’t want a fix, I just want him to listen.

I can say that women are complex, emotional creatures. I am willing to admit that I am way more complicated to understand than Matt. I don’t expect Matt to fully understand how to communicate with me (some days I feel like I couldn’t even communicate with myself) but I do expect him to continue to try. As long as he and I are both learning and growing in our communication with each other, our lives will be happier (and healthier). I will always be patient with Matt as he learns to communicate with me and I know he will be patient with me as I learn his language.
 

I whole heartedly believe that communication is the key to any successful relationship. Without it, a relationship is sure to fail. Men and women will never fully understand each other, and that’s okay, but as long as they are striving to communicate with each other, love, follow Christ and appreciate each other for their differences, God is sure to bless.

Another side note – Ron has tips on marriage communication.  I plan on reading this… http://www.ronedmondson.com/2010/05/7-tips-for-healthy-marriage-communication.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

Throwback Thursday

The Best Is Yet To Come