Fantasy Football


If you love to watch football – specifically the NFL – and your significant other does not enjoy it as much as you, I highly recommend encouraging them to get involved in a fantasy football league. 
 Fantasy football is a virtual competition where individuals manage professional football players through process of a draft. In an automatic draft, players are selected at random by the “system” and added to the manager’s roster. With manual drafting, managers are able to actually select which players they want for their team – just like in the actual NFL draft – but this process takes quite a while and is not as convenient for players who don’t live in the same area and are not able to get together for a draft party. Once the rosters are set, the managers are able to trade, add/drop players and change the rosters (according to which players are available).  Each week, managers track their players and line up starters/bench players and compete against the other individuals in the league. At the end of the regular season, the top teams (based on the set league rules) enter into the playoffs and compete for the prized Fantasy Football Championship!!

Fantasy football has actually been around for quite some time, but has increased in popularity due to the easy access we have from internet and smart phones.  There are several sites and apps in which to get involved with fantasy football (i.e. Yahoo! (www.football.fantasysports.yahoo.com) and ESPN (www.games.espn.go.com/frontpage/football).  Some fantasy football leagues are set up with an entry fee and are played for the cash prize and other leagues are set up to play simply for fun – our fantasy league is 100% for fun!!!
 

I, personally, have always enjoyed watching football, but once I became involved in a fantasy football league, it made me so much more dedicated to the scores, the players and each individual play. I’m so much more interested in the passing yards and the interceptions (as long as it’s “my” receiver making the catches and “my” defense making the interceptions). I come from a competitive family and I married a competitive man, so it’s very personal that “my” guys do well each week. The fantasy league I’m involved in has 12 teams (one of them being my sister and the other being my husband). Week 4 is complete for me and my opponent, as neither of us have players in Monday Night Football, and I am proud to say that I am the only undefeated team in the league! At the end of week 4, I will – for the second straight week – be sitting at the #1 spot. Let’s just hope I haven’t jinxed myself for week 5.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

Throwback Thursday

The Best Is Yet To Come