Cravings

Early in my first trimester, I was presented with the famous question “what are you craving?”. The only thing I could say that was close to a craving was cantaloupe (and I don’t know that I would even classify that as a craving). I have always loved that particular fruit (however, I did eat about one a day for the first few weeks of my pregnancy, so maybe it was a craving).

As my second trimester came and went, I still didn’t feel like there was any certain food that sounded better than the other or that I was eating one dish repetitively. I have done pretty well in keeping a good variety of fruits, veggies, meat and chocolate in my diet!  The problem wasn’t that one particular food tasted good, it was that ALL food started tasting good!
What is the cause of cravings? Of course I already know that I have a human being who is sucking out my nutrients on a minute to minute basis and my hormones are going crazy, but I know there’s more to it than that. So, out of curiosity, I researched the main cause for pregnancy cravings.
My doctor has already talked to me about the “bad cravings” – medically known as pica – and to be aware of what those cravings are trying to tell me.  Cravings of nonfood items like paint chips, chalk, laundry starch or dirt are what I consider very “bad cravings”. According to the Journal of American Dietetic Association, there may be a connection to an iron deficiency when these cravings arise. Others speculate that pica cravings are the body’s attempt to obtain vitamins or minerals that are missing through normal food consumption. Obviously if I have any craving for dirt, I’m going to talk to my doctor right away.
As for the “normal” pregnancy cravings, they can range from pickles and ice cream to plain old chocolate milk. Cravings can make a pregnant vegetarian crave steak or make a meat lover barf at the site of a hamburger. Just like women who have cravings at different stages of the menstrual cycle due to hormones, the same thing happens during pregnancy. Most studies show that there is wisdom of our bodies. A craving for milk might mean that I need calcium and a craving for fruit might mean that I’m lacking in vitamin C. It’s a well-proven fact that milk, fruit, chocolate and salty snacks are the most common pregnancy cravings. Scientists believe that the cravings are caused by an increased need for calories during pregnancy.
The bad news is that cravings can cause us to eat too much! An average woman will gain between 25-40 pounds during pregnancy and that only allows for about 300 extra calories per day (Joanne Stone, MD, coauthor of Pregnancy for Dummies). Ideally, those calories should come from healthy foods – not chocolate – but researchers say not to deprive yourself of an occasional treat.  



The good news is there are alternatives for the unhealthy cravings
1.       Instead of ice cream – try sorbet, sherbet, Popsicles or low-fat frozen yogurt
2.       Instead of doughnuts – try whole grain bagel or toast topped with jam
3.       Instead of potato chips – try baked chips, pretzels or popcorn
4.       Instead of a chocolate bar – try just a few pieces or drink a chocolate milk
5.       Instead of soda – drink fruit juice mixed with mineral water
6.       Instead of cakes/cookies or pie – try low-fat banana bread or zucchini bread

As I head full steam into my third trimester, I’m discovering I do have what I can call my first official craving. Coca-Cola classic. I’m limiting myself to one per day due to the caffeine and the fact that I don’t need the extra calories - but coke has never tasted so good. I have been trying to substitute General Mills, Fiber One chewy bars for chocolate candy bars and fruit for those other sweet cravings. But sometimes, a girl just needs a Snickers! I'm sure other cravings will come and go and I'm interested to find out what strange combinations my body will want. As long as it's not dirt - I think I'm open to giving it what it needs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

Throwback Thursday

The Best Is Yet To Come