Coke - It's The Real Thing (or is it?)

Once upon a time – back in my late high school and early college years – I couldn’t go one single day without a Coca-Cola® Classic. If I didn’t drink a Coke®, we (me and anybody around me) had major problems. I would consider it an addiction. I finally decided to cut my addiction with Coke® and it was a horrible 2 weeks. I had headaches and I physically felt sick all over (I can’t imagine trying to come off an addiction to drugs, alcohol or nicotine, so big kudos to those of you who have been there/done that)! I gradually started substituting Sweet Tea for Coke®, and the only thing this accomplished was getting rid of the carbonation from my diet. I was still taking in about the same amount of caffeine and sugar. It wasn’t until I moved to Atlantic City for a few months, that I dropped my caffeine “habit” completely.

Over the years, I have added caffeine back to my diet, though not on a daily basis. I love Sweet Tea and I was hooked on Monster® energy drinks (especially the zero calorie one). Once I found out I was pregnant, I stopped drinking caffeine…again. I didn’t drink any caffeine throughout my entire first trimester for fear of birth defects and/or miscarriage (you know all the rumors you hear) and didn’t start adding it back into my diet again until later in my second trimester.

I have not craved a Coke® for years but during this pregnancy, it’s the drink I have been craving most. I am limiting myself to one a day (if that) but I know I could drink 10 a day if I would allow myself. After doing some research and talking to my doctor about the facts and fiction of consuming caffeine while pregnant, I felt a lot better about enjoying my Coke®.

Caffeine is one of the most loved stimulates for us Americans! Because it is a stimulant, it increases blood pressure and heart rate and also increases the frequency of urination (which can cause dehydration). Caffeine is found in more than just Coke®, tea or coffee but it’s also found in chocolate and some over-the-counter medicines that relieve headaches, so be aware of what you’re consuming.

For me, one concern with drinking caffeine while pregnant was the common statement, “caffeine causes miscarriages”.  In 2008, two studies were done on the effects of caffeine related to miscarriage and the studies showed significantly different outcomes. One study was released by the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology and found that women who consume 200mg (or more) of caffeine daily are twice as likely to have a miscarriage as those who do not consume any caffeine.  In another study, released by Epidemiology, there was no increased risk in women who drank a minimum amount of coffee (caffeine) daily (between 200-350mg per day). Because of conflicting conclusions from numerous studies, the March of Dimes states that until more conclusive studies are done, pregnant women should limit caffeine intake to less than 200mg per day (this equals about one 12oz cup of coffee).

Of course, pregnant or not, we should all be aware of how much caffeine we consume on a daily basis. Caffeine fits the definition of an addictive substance, with withdrawal symptoms (which I’ve personally witnessed), an increase in tolerance over time and physical cravings. So, like anything else, just consume in moderation and (like me) enjoy your Coke®!!!

Think you’re drinking too much caffeine? Try the Food Renegade Caffeine-Free 30 Day Challenge

Are you a Caffeine Addict? Take the Caffeine Quiz and find out…

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Playing Catch Up