The Gift of Giving

When I decided to marry Matt, I knew that I was marrying into his family too. I knew that it would take time for relationships and bonds to grow and I knew, with time, I would love them. What I didn't know is how much love they would offer me and how quickly I would become just another one of the "family members". I come from a very large, very close, very loving family myself, and to be honest, I didn't think I would feel as comfortable with anybody's family as much as my own. Over the past several years, I have grown to care for Matt's family as my own and I cherish each relationship that's been built between us.

I have an older sister, but since I'm the "baby", I had no idea what it was like to be an older sibling. When I met Matt's little sister, Danielle, I had an instant connection with her. I immediately took on the "older sister" role and I felt like I adopted her as my younger sibling. I don't know why, I just have a protective nature when it comes to her (and I doubt she needs that, having two older brothers). I love and respect the person that she is and the conversations that we have. Dani and I haven't gotten to live in the same state for more than a month - I moved to Indiana in July of 2009 and within a month, she moved to Texas - but I feel close to her. Dani is a strong, confident woman who has made some tough decisions over the past few years. She has settled into a wonderful life in Texas. Texas is where she met her husband, Phil, and has begun a new chapter in her life.

Over the past month, Dani and Phil have had to deal with something that no couple should have to face - the high of pregnancy and the low of miscarriage. Being so far away from her family and childhood friends (with the exception of her Mom and new husband), Dani has dealt with this as strong and positive as anyone could imagine. For me - being pregnant myself - it was hard news to hear and my heart has been so heavy for her. From the moment I heard the news, all I've wanted to do is hug her neck and get her the chance to come "home" for a few days. I know when I lived in Indiana, the chance to go home brought such peace to me - I wanted Dani to have that peace.

With the help of her loving family and wonderful friends - we have made arrangements for Dani to visit her home in Indiana for a few days in October. I'm so excited that she will get to feel the fall air, visit family and friends, relax and maybe get her mind off of things for a few days. I can't explain the joy in my heart in being able to do this for her. The gift of giving in time of need helps me to take an unexplainable, hard, confusing, hurtful situation and turn it into something positive. I can't think of anybody as deserving of this gift, at this time, than this incredible woman. I trust that God has big plans for each of us, and He never puts more on us than we can handle. If I can help (even in the smallest way) make this burden a little lighter for Danielle to carry - then I'm going to do all I can.

I'm amazed that God brings people into our lives for reasons we can't explain - and I'm so thankful that he brought Danielle into mine.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining