9-11

On 09/11/01, the world as I knew it was changed forever. I was a sophomore at Mars Hill College and I was on my way to my first class of the day, but I walked through the Bailey Mountain Clogging studio to pick up a book I had left there. As I walked into the breezeway of the studio, I heard a radio on and they were talking about a plane that had just hit one of the towers in New York. I thought to myself, that can't be here in "our" New York and kept racking my brain on where they could be talking about. As I continued to listen, a plane hit the second tower and I froze at the realization that this was "our " New York that they were talking about. I couldn't really understand what was going on - it was so confusing and happening so fast. Like many Americans, I had so many questions like who is this?, why are they doing it?, what's going to happen next?. I reluctantly left the studio with fear for what was going to continue to happen and headed for class. As we all gathered in the classroom, it was more like a gathering at a funeral than a gathering for educational purpose. We were all sitting in a mix of shock and fear with so many unspoken questions hanging in the air. Our professor updated us on what she knew of what had happened, asked if we had any questions or wanted to share anything on our minds - and dismissed us. There was no way we could sit in a class and think of anything except what was happening to our country.



The next hours of that day were a blur - I remember going to my sister's on-campus apartment because I knew seeing her would give me some comfort. We talked and watched the news updates on the events that continued to play out that afternoon and we talked to both Mom and Dad on the phone. Later in the afternoon, I joined prayer circles around campus - prayer was the only comfort I could find. I prayed for the people of NYC, the people who knew they had lost loved ones and the ones that were still waiting for answers. I prayed for our fellow clogging teammates who were visiting Ireland - wondering how/when they were going to get home. I prayed for our President and our leaders. I was praying for us, my family and our small community. Prayer is what got me through that day. As I think back - prayer is what united so many people that day. I hate that it takes a tragedy such as 09/11 to bring our nation together as one but it gives me comfort to know that when tragedy does strike...we do unite. Nobody protested that we were praying in the open on campus, they joined us. Nobody made signs that said "I'm going to pray in public and you can't stop me" - we just prayed.



As I reflect back on the events of that day - 11 years ago, I remember the pain and joy I felt. I felt pain that somebody could hate our country bad enough to destroy lives, and pain over what this had done to our nation's future. I felt joy that we did come together as Americans and that God is still in the hearts of so many people. I didn't stop praying for our country on that day, I continue to ask God to bless this great nation. I have hope that more Americans, than just myself, also pray this prayer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining