Motherhood


The dictionary’s definition of Mother is “a woman in relation to a child or children to whom she has given birth”. My definition of a Mother is a woman who puts her heart and soul into providing and caring for a child or children, without asking anything in return – whether it’s children born unto her or children that she accepts under her care.  A Mother is selfless, loving, loyal, protective, supportive, patient, wise and observant. I understand that not all Mothers fit this definition, but mine most certainly does.
My Mom is a beautiful woman – inside and out. She and my Dad married early (when they were 19 years young) and they have a relationship that inspires me every day. Mom not only married at a young age, she became a Mom at the age of 20. I didn’t realize until, talking with her a few weeks ago, that Mom skipped the “normal 20s” that most young adults experience. I guess I knew that she went straight from being a high school “kid” to a Mom, but never really stopped to think about what she gave up for my sister and myself.  I know that my Mom doesn’t regret a single day of becoming a Mom early on (she has told me so herself) but – as sad as it is – I didn’t fully comprehend the selflessness it takes to be a good Mom, until I hit this stage of preparing to be a Mom myself.
 
 
As a kid, my Mom was so “old”. She just seemed so grown up and responsible. I mean, she knew how to cook, sew, clean, french braid my hair and help me with my homework – not to mention she knew the answer to every single question I had (and trust me, I had a lot of questions). Yep, she was old. As I grew into my teenage years, Mom was a chauffeur. Without Mom, my sister and I never would have made it to basketball practices, summer league games, track meets, after school activities, sleepovers, dance practices or pretty much anywhere else we wanted to go. Because my Mom dedicated all (and I do mean ALL) of her time making sure we had the resources we needed to be where we needed to be, my sister and I were able to follow our dreams. As a young adult, struggling (at times) to find my place in the world, Mom was a lighthouse. I would drift away from shore but always had a light to find my way back home. I’m not going to lie, Mom and I have had our fair share of butting heads and disagreements – but I know that is due to the fact that I am so much like her. Now that I prepare to be a Mother myself, I have a whole new respect for my Mom and I see her in a whole new light.    



You can’t explain the love you have for a child. My child isn’t even born yet and I can’t even begin to express the amount of love in my heart for my little guy. I know that my Mom loves me that much – and until now - I didn’t understand how it was possible. Mom has given more than 100% to being the best she can be and without her, I would be nothing. She committed to giving my sister and I the best of what she had and that was her time and her love. My Mom continues to support and love me, through everything I do.  I can’t wait for her to hold my little guy and spread that love down to another generation. I pray that I can have the patience, strength and dedication with my child (hopefully children) that my Mom has had with me, and even if I’m only blessed with half, I think I’ll be doing alright.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining