More Pregnancy Fun


Swelling is something a lot of pregnant women experience at some point throughout pregnancy. It usually comes along later - commonly in the third trimester – and while some notice it more than others, some may not have any swelling at all (lucky them). I have been fortunate enough to have very minimal swelling in my hands and feet throughout my entire pregnancy, including the third trimester…until this week!  

At my doctor’s appointment yesterday, we (my doctor and I) noticed some things that were abnormal for my particular pregnancy but not alarming by medical standards. My blood pressure was running a little higher than normal for me (still within “normal range”), I had gained a few extra pounds and there was noticeable swelling in my ankles.

The extra retention of fluid is needed to soften the body and enable it to expand as the baby develops. Extra fluids also help prepare the pelvic joints and tissues to open to allow the baby to be born. However, there are times when swelling is NOT normal. When swelling is sudden or extreme and found not only in the legs and feet but in the face and hands, it can be something serious. Swelling is a key factor in detecting a pregnancy condition known as Preeclampsia, but swelling alone does not mean that a woman has this condition. Preeclampsia is also accompanied by significant amounts of protein in urine, high blood pressure and headaches.

Edema is the “medical term” for swelling. According to research, the cause is excess accumulation of fluid, most commonly around the legs and ankles. Our pregnant bodies are producing approximately 50% more blood and body fluids to meet the needs of our developing baby and it is common in about 75% of pregnant women. The big questions are, what are key factors in swelling and how can I reduce it?

Key factors could include:                                                         How can I reduce swelling?
-summertime heat                                                    -avoid standing for long periods of time
 -standing for long periods of time                         -rest with feet elevated
 -“long” days of activity                                            -wear comfortable shoes, avoiding heels
 -diet low in potassium                                             -wear supportive tights or stockings
 -high level of caffeine consumption                      -avoid clothes that are tight around ankles/wrists
 -high level of sodium intake                                    -minimize sodium intake
                                                                                      -use cold compresses on swollen areas
                                                                                      -drink water to help flush the body
                                                                                                  
Since my blood pressure is still within normal range, I have no signs of protein in my urine and, as of today, my swelling has gone down, I’m not overly concerned about preeclampsia. However, it is definitely something we want to keep an eye on at my weekly visits to the doctor’s office. The swelling, well, I just chalk it up to another fun pregnancy symptom and keep hoping that Colton will make his debut sooner rather than later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining