Family Trends

I have 19 first cousins. There are 17 on my Dad's side and 2 on my Mom's side. Out of those 19 cousins, only 7 of them are female. On my Mom's side, females rule - my Mamaw & Papaw Bishop have all granddaughters - my sister, my cousins Sara & Mary and myself. Males seem to dominate our family on my Dad's side, at least for all of my Dad's siblings. Each one of my Dad's 7 siblings have at least one son...my Dad is the only one who got lucky enough to have only daughters. :-)

I'm so interested in family traits, similarities, behaviors and "trends". I love when I can see a glimpse of different family members in my own son and I love to observe it in other family members too. As I start to think about having another child (not just yet, but one day :)) I like evaluating the family trends (of course I also factor in Matt's family) and like guessing at the chances of what sex our next child will be.

On my Mom's side, we don't have a trend going past my generation. Of course I have Colton, but since my sister and neither of my cousins have children, I can't guess as to what the sex of their babies would be (unless I base it solely on me, and in that case I say that their first born will be a boy) :-).

On my Dad's side I have noticed a trend. Yes it's some coincidence, yes it's somewhat my crazy theory and yes, I think about this way too much. BUT, all of my Dad's siblings have children and 7 out of 8 of them have more than one child (obviously this is how I have 17 cousins on this side of the family). The 7 siblings with more than one child, have a trend of their first 2 born being the same sex. The trend continues to my generation. 9 of my first cousins have children and out of those 9 cousins, 5 of them have more than one child. There are 4 cousins that have had their first 2 children born the same sex.  So based on my Dad's generation and my generation, I have approximately a 66% chance of our second child being a boy too!

On the Neal side, there is not really a "trend". Let's just say that males pretty much dominate. Matt's Dad has 3 brothers and the 4 siblings combined have 8 children. 6 of the 8 are boys! Just between Matt's brother, Matt and Matt's sister (Hunter is due in June) there are 4 kiddos and out of those kids, 3 of them are male.

Only God knows if we will be blessed with another little miracle in our lives and only time will tell if the trend will continue. :-)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining