Mother's Day

Mamaw S, Me, Mamaw B, Denise, Mom
Mother's Day 2012
As Mother's Day approaches this year, I find myself feeling extra blessed and so thankful. I'm blessed to be celebrating this Holiday as a Mommy for the first time and I'm thankful that I have such amazing women in my life to share the special day with.

My Mom is an amazing woman. I know that I don't tell her enough how grateful I am for her as, not only a Mom, but as a friend. I've always known (at least in my adult life) that my Mom has made so many sacrifices for my sister and me, but now that I'm a Mom too, the sacrifice is appreciated in a whole new way. My Mom was a "stay at home Mom" in a day when it was not the most popular choice. During the years my Mom spent raising my sister and me, most women were pushing to be a strong force in the work place. A woman was somewhat looked "down on" for committing to being a housewife and Mother. Criticism didn't stop my Mom from being the best stay at home Mom...ever!
Mom & Me (1983)

Mom and Dad were high school sweethearts and were married when my Mom was just 19 years old. My sister came along when Mom was 20 and I followed 20 months later. Needless to say, my Mom's "wild and crazy" years were spent raising two wild and crazy girls. My Mom wasn't just a Mom she was a teacher, taxi driver (to endless basketball practices, dance rehearsals and every other activity we wanted to participate in), nurse, financial planner, activity coordinator, chef, counselor, referee, seamstress, photographer, sounding board, a perfect example of true beauty and most importantly a wonderful wife and a Godly woman.

I can't imagine what my life would be if I didn't have such a wonderful Mom (and Dad). Our parents gave us a strong foundation and made sure that we knew that no matter how far we flew (or continue to fly), we know where our home is. My Mom has always been my biggest fan and (even if she doesn't know it) is a huge influence in my decisions as a woman, a wife and - now - a Mom. I will forever be thankful for such a great example of what a Mom should be!
Now that I am a Mom, I feel like I have big shoes to fill. I hope that I can provide as great a childhood for Colton as my Mom did for me. I'm looking forward to spending my first Mother's Day with Colton but also with some beautiful women (my Mom, my Mamaw Bishop and my Mamaw Shelton). I am surrounded by strong women who live their lives with such grace and humility and I am honored to call them family.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining