Me Time

Ever since I (well, Matt and I together) made the decision to stay at home with Colton, I haven't regretted the decision a single day. Don't get me wrong, there are moments I want to pull my hair out, but still no regrets. I thought I was ready to be a stay at home Mom. I mean, how hard can it be after working a 9 to 5 job? I can sleep in if I want to, I can wear my PJs until noon if I want to, I can stay up late if I want to, I can do whatever I want to on MY schedule. Right? Wrong.

I want to sleep in, but there is no "sleeping in", it's just called "sleeping when I get the chance" and I actually want to get dressed before noon, but that doesn't always happen. I consider it a successful morning if I have a bra on before 9am. Yes, I realize that there are Moms out there working full-time jobs and being a full-time Mommy, so I don't expect any sympathy. But I will say that a stay-at-home Mom gives me no "break" from Colton and sometimes, going back to "work" sounds pretty appealing. The grass is always greener, right? Well, like I said, no matter how tough some days are, I still would rather be at home with my little munchkin than be anywhere else.

Since I am with Colton - pretty much - 24/7, I do sometimes dream of time to myself. Once he is in bed, I don't even want to watch TV, I just want to sit on the couch in complete silence. I realize that this time is going to pass so quickly and I do want to enjoy every moment, but there are just some moments that are not as enjoyable as others. I think it's so important for a Mom to find "me time"! With Matt working out of town, that's been harder and harder for me to do. Granted, I have my parents to help me when I need it, but I still feel guilty leaving him because Colton is my responsibility. I do have days when I need to just leave the house, get away for a an hour or so and re-group. I used to feel bad about needing this time. I felt like I was a "bad Mom" for not wanting to be with my kid all the time. After almost 4 months, I'm finally feeling "okay" with taking time for myself.

I also think it's important for a husband and wife to have "us time" and that's not something Matt and I have had any of since Colton was born. With Matt only having 2 days a week with both Colton and Me, it's hard to take any of that time away for just the two of us to be together. Matt and I finally went on our first, post-Colton "date" on Saturday night. I wasn't sure how I would feel about it, but honestly, it was much-needed and we had a great time. It felt so nice to get dressed, actually be able to wear earrings and a necklace and jut sit and have a nice conversation with my husband. Matt and I talked more than we have in months, we laughed and shared stories we hadn't talked about in years. It felt like we were dating for the first time, it was a lot of fun! I'm thankful that I have awesome parents who I trust enough to watch my kiddo (guilt and worry free) and I'm even more thankful for the time Matt and I got to spend together.

For all the parents out there who work so hard to provide and raise your children, I applaud you! It's a tough job. For all of the soon-to-be parents, if you think you're ready...you're not. NOTHING can prepare you for having a baby except actually having a baby. It's such an incredible, life changing, stressful, rewarding journey and I'm so blessed to be able to experience it. Being a stay-at-home Mom is a lot harder than I imagined it would be (a lot more work, with a lot less pay) but I know that raising my child and being able to witness his growth, development and accomplishments is going to be more rewarding than any amount of money!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining