Just a Mug

When I was in the hospital, having Colton, I was excited about so many things...but one thing I was really excited about was the hospital mug. You know the one I'm talking about? The big plastic mug that has the big straw and keep drinks really cold? Yeah, that one! I had never been a patient in a hospital before, but I knew that patients got "the mug" and I was finally getting one. Yes, I know that it seems very silly to be excited about something so small when you're in the hospital to have a baby, but I don't care...I was excited.

Of course during the labor/delivery, all I was allowed were ice chips and I was so busy having a baby that I didn't even think about the mug. Once I was moved to my postpartum room, they brought it to me, my very own hospital mug! I drank out of it every day and loved every minute of it. The day came for us to pack up and head home. We got Colton situated in the car seat, gathered up all our stuff and I asked the nurse if she would fill my mug up with crushed ice and water for the trip home.

We made our way down the hall and stopped at the nurses station where they checked our car seat, arm bands and paperwork and then we were ready to go. The nurses made me ride down in a wheelchair, so after shifting our stuff around, we finally made it down the elevator and Matt pulled the car around to pick us up. After what felt like an hour of getting all our stuff in the car and making sure Colton was in his car seat cradle correctly, we were finally headed home with our new baby.

I didn't settle down enough to get a drink of water until we were over halfway home. I reach to get my mug and...no mug. Where is my mug???? I asked Matt if he got it and he said no. I thought and thought of where it could be and then I remembered...I sat it on the nurses station counter when we left and I never picked it up again. I cried. Not like a little bit, I cried a LOT. I said how could I forget my mug, how in the world did I forget that mug. I will say that almost 20 hours of labor, the emotions of having a new baby and a total lack of sleep for 2 nights in the hospital contributed to the extreme reaction to the loss of my mug, but I was pretty upset. My sweet husband just looked at me and said "well, at least you remembered the baby"!

I talked about my hospital mug for about 2 weeks after Colton was born and thought of it every time I filled up my regular,old Nalgene bottle. After telling my mug story to almost everybody who visited Colton in the first month...I finally let it go. I let it go until my cousin Sara came to visit us about a week ago. Sara is in nursing school and somehow we started talking about the hospital and my mug story came up again. After talking about it, it made me miss my mug, but once again, I had to let it go.

I was sitting on the patio this afternoon with Colton, when Sara and her son TJ came around the corner. What was in Sara's hand?!?!?!? An LMH mug :-) She said "look what I brought you" and I was so excited that I literally almost cried. Yes, it would be the second time I cried over a stupid mug! I was so happy that 1) she thought of me, remembered my story and was so thoughtful to bring me a new mug and 2) that I finally had "the mug"!

For all of you who have heard my mug story, the final chapter has been written and you don't have to hear about it anymore. We are reunited once again - all is well :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining