boo-boos (they're gonna happen)

While raising a son, I worry about injuries. I've always "heard" that boys get hurt more than girls. Statistics show that most boys have higher activity levels and sometimes behave more impulsively than girls and these factors have been related to increased injury rates in boys. There is speculation that differential socialization of sons and daughters may play a role in boys being injured more often than girls. One example, parents are less likely to restrain the exploratory behavior of boys than girls, even if the boy's behavior could cause injury. Another example, boys are allowed to travel further from home than same-age girls and are given more opportunities to play alone, which results in boys receiving less direct supervision than girls. Many factors have been considered in explaining why boys take more risks and are injured more often than girls. I think that most parents look at daughters as "delicate flowers" that need protected and follow the "boys will be boys" theory with sons.

I know that all children (boy or girl) are prone to injury and as much as I try to protect him, my son will get hurt. Yesterday, I put Colton into his Bumbo seat for his lunch. He was so happy and ready to eat. I put his bib on him and I then put his tray on his seat. Colton's face went from happy to sad - quickly. His little bottom lip stuck out and he started whimpering - it wasn't a cry, but a pitiful, "something isn't right" whimper. I checked everything when I realized I had smashed his hand between the Bumbo seat and the tray. I quickly un-snapped the tray and got his little wrist out. When I looked at it, his hand was so red and had a line from the tray. I almost cried and I kept saying "I'm so sorry buddy, I'm so sorry" and kissed his little hand. He just looked at me, tears in his eyes and gave me his sweet little grin. He didn't even cry. I felt so bad and I realized that even before he is big enough to inflict injury on himself, my son is going to get hurt.

Boo-boos are going to happen (over and over again). As a Mom, it's my job to handle those injuries with as much calmness and as level headed as possible. It's really hard watching someone experience hurt, especially when they're as little as Colton and you love them so much, but it is a big part of life (especially a growing boy's life). I just continue to pray that God will watch over my son and provide me with the strength and patience it takes to be a Mommy!




Comments

  1. Awe. You're such a sweet mom. This made me think about when Kevin was 5 and got his head catch between the bars at McDonalds playland. Everyone around was in panic mode. I stood on the ground below him trying to talk him thru it. Management wanted to call the fire dept. I said NO. But because I remained calm Kevin didn't panic like everyone else around him. I remember telling him. "You put your head in there remember how you did it and reverse that to get it out." It worked. Lots of memories with raising kids. Loved it all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining