Healthy Appetite

Colton has conquered Pears, Bananas and Cereal and has now moved on to add Green Beans and Sweet Potatoes to the list of foods he likes. Okay, so he just sort of tolerates the cereal but he actually likes the others :-) So many health care professionals have said "wait until their 5 or 6 months old before feeding them solids" while others have said "if he's hungry feed him". If Colton is ready for solids at 3 and 1/2 months (which he was) then he's going to try solids. I'm so proud and happy for a couple of reasons. First of all, I'm so excited that he likes fruits and veggies and he's not showing any sign of allergies but I'm proud because those veggies came home-grown from Shelton Laurel!

With the help of my Baby Brezza One Step Baby Food Maker, I'm able to take natural fruits and vegetables and make yummy foods for Colton. I took Mimi's (my mom) canned green beans, rinsed them, put them in the Baby Brezza, steamed them and blended them to make a yummy puree. The steaming is more for warming than cooking since the green beans are already fully cooked. My Mamaw and Papaw Shelton brought us some of their garden-grown sweet potatoes on Tuesday and I fixed those for Colton to try. Wednesday was his first bite of the yummy potatoes and he loved them (meaning I didn't have to mix it with bananas).

Since I've been adding the fruits and vegetables to Colton's diet, I've noticed a few changes. He is not having such a hard time with his BMs. Before, he was only having a BM about once a day (if that) and it was a struggle. Poor little guy worked and worked, and I'm sure that it was due to all of the iron in his formula. Now, he has a BM about twice a day and there is no struggle at all. After eating his solids, he seems way more content and has taken more naps throughout the day. Instead of taking two or three 15 minute naps, he is now taking 4 or 5 naps a day and sometimes they are 30 minutes to an hour long. Colton has also slept longer stretches at night this week (with the exception of 1 night) but I'm not sure if I can chalk that up to the solids or to the sunshine and being outside....the jury is still out on that.

Needless to say, I'm not a "by the book" Mommy. I'm up for trying whatever works best for my kiddo. Every child is different and I'm learning that even though most of the schedule guidelines are helpful, my baby definitely has a mind of his own! I'm so blessed with a healthy kiddo who has a healthy appetite.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining