Things

A college friend of mine, Carrie (www.carriewithchildren.com) posted an article about her couch. The story was about it being her first "big girl purchase" as an adult. The couch was brand new and when she brought it home, nobody was allowed to drink on it, eat on it, etc..., it was to stay "new"! When Carrie had kids, the focus of importance changed from the couch to her children. To make a long story short, her couch now doubles as a place to sit and a playground for her kiddos!

I got a blanket at Kohl's several years ago. It was originally an "expensive", down filled, throw blanket but of course with Kohl's Cash, coupons and the every day Kohl's deals, I got it for much less. I always kept the blanket on the back of the couch as more of a decoration than a blanket (which is such a foreign idea to my husband). Matt would try to use it and I would always say "make sure you don't get that dirty" or "let me get you another blanket to use". The blanket has made 4 moves and - somehow - has stained stain free...until now.

Colton is learning to sit up/crawl(wiggle)/play on his own. I like to put blankets down to help cushion him when he "weeble-wbbles" over. The other day, I was in the living room and all of Colton's blankets were in his room, so I grabbed "the blanket" from the back of the couch. I spread it out on the floor, covered it with several of Colton's toys and set him down to play. At first I was worried that he was going to drool on it, and then I thought of Carrie's couch story, and I smiled. The blanket was finally being used and I was happy about it. My fear of drool wasn't even a concern, instead Colton decided to puke on it. So, the blanket is now just a blanket and has moved down the ladder of important things in my life.

It's amazing how much having a child can change your outlook on life. Having a baby has made me focus on the important things and let the little things go. I am still all about taking care of the things I have and keeping "things" nice, but I remember that they are just "things"! :-)

You can read Carrie's full story here:
http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2012-08-13/story/no-longer-need-keep-your-feet-couch

Comments

  1. I know what you mean. I had a dining room table that I was pretty proud of back in the day. I thoughtlesly left a sander out one day and walked in the kitchen to find Jake sanding my table. I about died. I still have that table and every time I see that sanded spot, A smile comes to my face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, this is a great story! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that suddenly doesn't mind the furniture and blankets getting messed up! They really are just "things"! Thanks for thinking of me too! :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminded me of a "thing" that was precious to me. It is a tulip tree that started off as a plant sent when my MawMaw died. I planted it ( I do not have a history of having a green thumb) and surprise! It thrived! I always say it is because it has something to do with MawMaw (she did have a green thumb!). However, this past year my husband came in from cutting grass and doing yard work and stated that he had "trimmed it". I ran out, fearful. He had cut it back to the ground! I was so upset! I had to really pray because it had sentimental meaning for me...after praying I realized that MawMaw was still in the hands of God and if I didn't have the beautiful tulip tree bush that reminded me of her everyday, I still had my memories. This summer, my husband took me outside and showed me the bush. It is blooming even prettier than before since his "trimming" it.
    I think that is how it is when we let God trim back "things" from our life in their importance. When we focus on Him, life gets even more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining