Take Pride

As I was in town running a few errands today, I stopped by our local Ingles grocery store. If you've ever been to the Ingles on the Asheville Highway in Greeneville, Tennessee then I'm sure you have noticed the service from the employees. If you haven't noticed the service, it could be because people tend to notice BAD service more than GOOD service - which is sad. The folks at "our" Ingles are (in my opinion) top notch.

At our Ingles, the majority of the "check out" clerks are young people, either high school age or maybe a little older. A lot of other places I go, the young people are just "there" doing their job. Not at our grocery store! These kiddos (young people) are so polite. They strike up a conversation with me, they ask "how's your day?", they ask how I would like my items bagged, etc... Every time I'm in the produce section, I seem to run into the same "stocking guys" and they always have a smile on their face, ask me "are you finding everything you need?". It's so refreshing! I always wonder if the management provides such a great working environment that they are genuinely happy in their jobs or if they just simply take pride in what they're doing. Either way - I'm thankful for their attitude.

The reason I'm talking about the employees at our local grocery store is because it got me thinking about my own attitude. Do I take pride in what I'm doing? I think it's one of the most important things I can teach my children - taking pride in their work. I feel the same about the children's lives I touch through teaching dance. Am I going to try to teach them by talking about it or am I going to lead by example? I hope to lead by example. I know that sometimes our situations are not ideal, and sometimes we work a job that we're not happy with - but we still need to take pride in the job we are doing, and do the best we can at it.

If you're an employee at a fast food restaurant, or if you're an employee at a bank - you can have an impact on some one's life. Is it going to be a positive or negative impact? That's up to you! I hope that no matter if my children are janitors, architects, plumbers, truck drivers or doctors, that they live in the moment and take pride in what they're doing. Maybe working at a fast food restaurant isn't what you "want" to be doing. So, it's your job - for the moment - take pride until you move on to something that you do want to be doing.

I find it interesting that a few young people with good attitudes can stop me in my tracks and make me look at my own life. It's amazing how a good attitude, a positive outlook and taking pride in your role can change another person's life. I'm thankful that God has placed me where I am today - I'm thankful for another lesson in life!

Comments

  1. It truly is a blessing to run upon kind and sincerely nice people when you are out doing business...especially young people! Loved the post!

    www.godisinthewhisper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining