Picky Eaters

Today was Colton's first taste of spinach. As he scarfed down the last few bites at lunch, I was thinking "are picky eaters born or made?". It's interesting to me how some babies, kids and even adults will eat anything and others won't. What makes a picky eater? Is it someone who simply doesn't like certain foods or is it somebody who genuinely can't eat certain foods? According to a study reported in The New York Times , there are "picky eaters" who are people with many food dislikes but the people who genuinely can't eat certain foods are classified under Selective Eating Disorder (SED).

After reading numerous stories and articles on "picky eaters", I have learned that there are many different approaches and opinions on the topic. Some sources say not to force foods on children, just let them eat as they want to. Other sources say that it's important to keep presenting the "disliked" item to the child because it takes a minimum of 10 times before he/she can acquire a like/dislike. Some sources say to offer options to the child while others say to take a "eat what you're served" approach. So which approach is right? I know what my opinion is, but who knows if my approach will work when the time comes! :-)

I'm so blessed with a kiddo who loves to eat and doesn't seem to mind what it is. So far, it doesn't matter if we serve up apples or spinach, our little guy will put it down. Sometimes a picky eater doesn't peak until a child is toddler age. Since I have never been through the toddler stage, I won't pretend that I know anything about the struggle. I just find the topic interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Colton stays on the path of being a "good, solid eater".






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining