Decisions

I make decisions every day, easy ones and hard ones. I decide what to wear, what to eat for breakfast, how (or if) I'm going to fix my hair, etc..., but there are some decisions to make in life that are just harder than others. Deciding to have a baby was a huge, life-changing decision. Along with that decision came other major decisions. Whether or not I am going to - be able to - stay home with our baby or go back to work? If I do work, which daycare will he go to or will he stay with family? If we decide to have another child, how long are we going to wait? Are we willing to re-locate? There are so many questions that I sort out in my head all day, every day - the last question is the one that is really weighing on my heart right now...are we willing to re-locate???

Matt and I both love living in East Tennessee. We love the weather, the mountains, the people and the small community feel. However, East Tennessee isn't exactly booming with job opportunities. Lack of opportunity is a major reason why we decided not to purchase a home right away. My parents' have been kind enough to open their basement apartment up for us to live in. I was lucky enough to get a good job for this area (even though I do commute about 30 to 45 minutes one way) and our family business has been blessed with enough work to provide Matt with jobs on and off for the past 10 months. Matt and I were looking at different options for moving when I got pregnant and since I LOVE my doctor and carry insurance through my job, we pretty much had to stay put and wait for the baby! Now that Colton has arrived, we have to think very seriously about whether or not we can stay in this area and still afford for me to be a full time, stay-at-home mommy. Is living in this area worth me having to leave my baby and go to work every day?

Matt and I have made the decision that we are willing to re-locate if it means that I can stay at home with Colton. However, we are limiting our moving "options" to the south. Matt has applied to jobs that would offer benefits and provide some security everywhere between Knoxville, TN and Charlotte, NC. It's hard to find a job these days and we were thankful when he was finally offered a job based out of Charlotte. This particular job doesn't offer health benefits, but it does seem to offer some job security and will also put us in an area that is continuing to grow and prosper.

It's tough making the decision to leave Greeneville, TN. I will miss the mountains so much. My parents are here, and they love their new grand baby being around. All of my grandparents, several of my Aunts, Uncles and Cousins are here. I will miss all the help my Mom has provided during and after the birth of Colton. I will be giving up a good job (with benefits) and my new clogging students. But even with giving up all of these things, I have to remind myself that I will be staying at home with my sweet baby and that makes the decision a little bit easier to make.

Matt left for Charlotte today and will start his new job tomorrow. Colton and I will be without him for the whole week (boo hoo). Once Matt works a couple of weeks and gets familiar with the area, we'll be able to make a decision on housing so that Colton and I can make the move. We aren't in a hurry to jump into a bad situation and we're praying for guidance, knowing that God will provide when the timing is right. So until then, Colton and I will be staying here in Tennessee...eating, sleeping and missing daddy!

There are pros and cons in every decision so I know that there will be happy moments and tough moments during this transition. My sister lives in Charlotte which is exciting. Once we move, it will be the closest I've lived to my sister since we were in college together (so about 10 years). I'm also looking forward to catching up with my dear friend Jenny who also lives in the area (it's been about 3 years since I've seen her). If you know Matt (and me), you know that we are always on the move and although I'm nervous about some parts of this decision, I know that you have to give up some things to experience new things. I'm genuinely looking forward to another adventure.



Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never easy when these changes come along. Seems like just a few short months ago the decisions were still focused on that little baby, you not working too many hours,and even a little further back, you were both making decisions on moving to TN. Indiana had been home for Matt & you...then the door opened for TN. Matt's sacrifices and your sacrifices brought you to a different place in both physical location and emotional locations. Think about it...you moved to IN while in school, Matt moved to TN out of college, you moved back south, Matt moved back north, Matt moved south, again, then north again, and you moved north, again! LOL! What better time than now with little Colton for you to all move together to wherever God leads you. Sacrifice quickly turns to opportunity and Matt is away from his family this week to find the best opportunity for you all. Yep, sacrifice leads to many new things for you all...it's an exciting opportunity to turn a new page in your family book of life! I'm so excited for the new adventures and also trusting Matt will be guided to that perfect place for the most important people in his life...you & Colton. Leaving is never easy...but sometimes the BEST things are waiting when you finally get to wherever you're all headed! (AND it's cheaper for me to fly to Charlotte! LOL!) Love you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining