Colic

Before I became a Mom, I heard the term "colic" but I really had no idea what it was. Since I didn't have a baby of my own, I didn't have to worry about what it actually was and I just assumed it was a sickness babies got like chicken pox or the measles (seriously, I did think that). Now that I am a Mommy to a semi-colicky baby, I'm fully aware of what "colic" truly is.

Baby Colic is a condition where an otherwise healthy baby cries or displays symptoms of distress frequently and for long periods of time for no "reason". How do you know if your baby has colic? If your baby is younger than 5 months old and cries for more than three hours in a row on three or more days a week for at least three weeks (phew!), chances are he's colicky. Well, that's Colton. Colic isn't a disease and won't cause him any long-term harm, but it's a tough thing to go through for him (and me at times).

While babies normally cry when they're wet or hungry, frightened or tired, a baby with colic cries inconsolably and excessively, often at the same time of day. Colton frequently cries in the late afternoon or evening, and his crying goes from late afternoons on into the night. Along with crying, his belly gets enlarged and he alternately extends and pulls up his legs and passes gas as he cries.

Why is a baby colicky? I don't know if colic is hereditary or not, but (according to my mother-in-law), Matt was very colicky as a baby. Colic is one of the great mysteries of baby life. According to studies, about 20% of babies become colicky. The condition is equally common among firstborn and later-born, boys and girls, breastfed and formula-fed. No one knows why some babies are more prone to it than others, but theories abound. And there may well be more than one cause.

Since there really is no solution to "healing" a colicky baby, I just have to be patient and let it ride itself out. Thankfully, there's a light at the end of the tunnel. Colic tends to peak around 6 weeks (and Colton will be 6 weeks old on Thursday), then improves significantly between 3 and 4 months. By 5 months old, he should be over it. Sometimes that seems like such a long tunnel, but the way time is flying by, Colton will be 6 months old in no time. In the meantime, I'm trying to learn how to comfort him the best I can and ask for help when I need it. Caring for a colicky baby can be very stressful, and sometimes I just have to take a break (to cry myself) and then get back at it.

I am thankful for all the support from friends and family (near and far). I'm blessed with some wonderful friends who are on this same amazing journey and it's so helpful to vent, cry, exchange tips and just talk. I'm also VERY thankful for mylicon drops (www.mylicon.com) and "Gripe Water" (www.mommysbliss.com)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining