Learning

Journal Entry 6 - January 7, 2013

Colton was scheduled to see Dr. Woods today and after a horribly long night on Sunday, I was feeling worn out, confused, somewhat overwhelmed and very much looking forward to our visit to the doctor so she could reassure me that everything was fine with our baby. Being a new mom is enough of a reason to feel overwhelmed and if you mix that with no sleep, a crying baby, out of control hormones and me just being me, it's a recipe for a melt down. I did a pretty good job (with Matt's help) at keeping myself together and reminding myself that all new moms probably feel this way. But let's be honest, I was starting to question everything I thought I knew about being a mom.

I managed to get myself and Colton ready to go and we headed out on our first trip without daddy. I was nervous and I was so tired that everything made me feel like crying. My sweet baby boy did much better than I did, he slept the whole way to the doctor without a peep. Once we got to the doctor's office, I was feeling a little bit better - at least we made it with no issues. Colton's check up was good although he did lose several ounces of weight since his birth. Even though they prepared me that this might happen, it still made me feel so bad. Dr. Woods was reassuring and made me feel relaxed and sure that the decisions I was making for my baby were good ones, that it was okay to feel overwhelmed at times and be sure to ask for help when I need it. She also told me that it was okay to cry (like I could help it even if it wasn't okay) and that as long as I care about and love my baby, he will get what he needs. After a long chat, Dr. Woods scheduled us to come back on Friday of this week for a follow up and I left the office feeling much better about life as a new mommy.

Journal Entry 7 - January 8, 2013

Colton (and mommy) slept much better last night. Since my breast milk hasn't come in with enough supply to keep a little boy with a hearty appetite full, we have been supplementing a bottle with formula every other feeding. This has made a huge difference in satisfying our little guy. He is back to his happy baby self and I am so glad.

I am learning something new every day and I am so thankful for what Colton is teaching me. I am amazed at how much my life has changed in less than a week and I pray for guidance as I do my best to communicate with and provide for this precious baby.



Comments

  1. It is so wonderful to read your thoughts and feelings with every new moment you have as a Mom! We have all been there and you are doing everything you're supposed to do. Yep, it may seem overwhelming at times...let's face it, it IS overwhelming at times...but little Colton, you and Matt always have support from so many. Don't forget that and be sure to reach out to any of us when you have those moments. I am so excited to finally get to meet Colton and see you & Matt! I hope these next few days go quickly and can't wait to see you all! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining