First Night




Journal Entry 1 - January 3, 2013

After delivery of Colton, we were moved from the delivery room to "our room". We had several visitors ready to meet the new addition to our family (some of who were there from 6am until late evening patiently waiting). What a blessing to have so much support. Our first night with the little guy went pretty well. I was physically exhausted from labor and delivery and Matt was mentally exhausted from the stress of not being able to "do anything" (even though he did more than he'll ever know). Once our visitors were gone and the nurses helped us settle in, we were alone for the first time. It was just Matt, Me and Colton. Despite being sore, tired and overwhelmed with emotions I was so happy that the three of us were alone. Colton was still in a "baby coma" from the hard work he endured making his entrance. It's just amazing how something so small can fill a spot so big in my heart. I'm pretty sure he worked his way into his daddy's heart too and watching my husband with our son has to be one of the greatest feelings in the world. I can't imagine our lives without him now.

Colton is breastfeeding so I chose to have him stay in our room with us instead of going back to the nursery. The nurses would check on us every few hours and of course I was up feeding him every 2 to 3 hours. He has done really well with breastfeeding. From the very first time we had no problems with latch on or with him getting the hang of things. As long as my milk comes in for him to get enough to eat, I think this little man is going to be a quick learner (I hope I haven't spoken too quickly)!

Throughout the first night, I found myself watching him instead of sleeping. I felt exhausted but I just couldn't take my eyes off of him. I try to find the right words to describe how I feel when I look at him, but I just haven't found them yet. He is a gift from God that I am so thankful for the opportunity to be his mommy.


Comments

  1. Renee, you are so right it is one of the greatest feelings as a mother and even greater as a nana. words can not discribe the joy, love or the emotions you go thru. You are going to be a wonderful mother. love ya Deb

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining