A Gift

As I sit here watching my baby sleep, I can’t help but think “being a mommy is awesome”. Of course there are long nights of little to no sleep, sore breasts, fat to lose and feeling clean for only 30 minutes after a shower because I’m either spit up, pooped or peed on but the little smiles and precious expressions make me forget all about all the other stuff and make me proud to be just that…a mommy.

Colton is so expressive already and I think he’s going to have quite a personality. If he learns how to use his smile to his advantage, one day those dimples are going to make him a heart breaker. During and after meal time is when I get to see his  wonderful expressions the most, 1) because while eating is when he usually makes a dirty diaper for mommy (and smiles about it) 2) after eating is when he is the happiest and 3) feeding time is when he is actually awake. He used to fall asleep right after eating but now he’s staying awake, looking around and interacting for about 30 minutes or so. These moments (though short) are precious to me and I’m thankful that I have the opportunity to be at home with him and experience every little smile, yawn, cry and everything in between.
 
One of the most heartwarming parts of being a mom is the ability to comfort my child just by touching him. When Colton is crying and I pick him up, I feel him relax and sense recognition in his body language. As I talk to him to comfort him, I can see his eyes searching and it brings a sense of security to him. A baby has no choice but to trust that we, as parents, are going to take care of them. It’s very humbling knowing that I’m responsible for the care of another human being. I know that I will make mistakes and I will sometimes be off the mark on what his needs are but I do know that I love him and love never fails.

I waited for so long on Colton to arrive. I worried about what I was doing to make sure he had a comfy ride for 9 months and I prayed that he would be healthy and strong. Now that he is here, I feel so very blessed. I had a good pregnancy and he is healthy, strong and absolutely amazing. My life has been changed forever and every time I look at his precious face, I know that God has given me a priceless gift. A gift I will never take for granted.

Comments

  1. You warm my heart and I know what a wonderful family Colton has with you as his Mommy and Matt as his Daddy! Much love and pride for you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love reading your blogs. Debi and I were talking a few days ago about parents now and this generation of parents, how they want to send there kids to school or off somewhere so they are not a bother. Can't wait for them to return to school after summer break. etc. We are so thankful that this next generation of our family has such great views/values on parenting and loves being a parent and ENJOYS their children. We are blessed with wonderful kids and grandkids, nieces, nephews, so thankful you are setting a standard for others too. Proud... Proud of the mommy you are.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining