our home is a school

I'm, by no stretch of the imagination, a professional writer but I find it interesting how there are certain days when words just flow out of me easier than other days. It's like there's something on my heart that I'm supposed to share. Just because the words flow out, doesn't mean that they flow out in any certain order or with any clear format (kind of like when I'm talking). I don't know if I'm sharing it for anybody else or just for myself - either way, I'm thankful that I have allowed myself this outlet.

What's on my heart today? My son. The independent little guy - just thinking about him makes me smile. I had no idea I could love a human being so much. It's hard to explain because I love and adore my husband and I love him in a companion/lover/best friend kind of way. The love between myself and my son is just, well, unexplainable.

I keep saying my independent little guy, because that's exactly what he is. If you've been around C for any amount of time you know that he wants you to be close, but not touching him. He wants you to show him how but not do it for him (no matter what "it" is). He is curious, adventurous, cautious, intelligent, a good listener, a problem solver, a (mostly) happy and sweet boy. I'm thankful that he has an interest in figuring things out and for learning. He loves books and "reading time" is the rare cuddle time I get with my busy little guy.

Yesterday, I saw a sign that said "every home is a school - what are you teaching?". That's so simple but so powerful. Our home is Colton's school. Everything he sees, hears, experiences and is exposed to is shaping him into the man he is going to become. Because of this, I find myself making decisions that, without him in my life, I might not make. Does that mean that I've "changed who I am"? Absolutely.

When I think about Colton, I think about what every other Mom thinks about. Protecting, loving, comforting, encouraging, teaching, correcting and providing a safe/healthy environment for my child to grow up in. Will I fail? Yes. Does that keep me from trying? No.

Sometimes, I look at C and I'm in awe. I'm in awe of the fact that God has blessed me with this child. I stopped to watch him, right now. He's standing in front of the big picture window in our living room. His little eyes scanning, his little finger pointing at the birds, flowers and trucks, his little head with his 2-day old haircut (courtesy of his Daddy) that makes him look a whole year older. I look at all these things and I see a curious, active little boy who is growing every day.

Colton is going to grow and change, no matter what. I can't stop it. The only thing I can do is help shape him, through example. I pray that Colton's school, our home is a positive learning ground for all things in life.


Comments

  1. I believe Colt is getting a pretty good schooling most parents would envy. Not just at home. The sawmill, the mountains, the family surrounding him. I'm in my second childhood. Would you raise me? Again, I'm anonymous, but you know I don't know how to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to read what you write on hear. So glad to hear that there are still parents out there that understand what raising their children is about, and how important their surroundings are with them learning. Seems like your doing a great job raising him!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining