Coming Home Child-less

Matt and I bought tile for our bathroom floors back around New Year's (when it was on sale). We got our first bathroom floor done back in January (I think) and we have been putting off doing anything to the second bathroom because it needed the most TLC. Anyway, we got the tile down this past weekend.

Tonight, Matt was trying to put the bathroom back together and noticed that he needed new bolts for the toilet. Family trip to Lowes (we LOVE Lowes). When we walked toward the entrance, I saw a guy standing - with his back to me - at the check out counter. He looked so familiar and I finally realized that it was Joe (a guy that works for my Dad). I was so busy trying to place Joe that I hardly noticed that my Uncle Pat was the guy standing there beside him. Pat was busy paying/talking to the lady at the check out counter so he didn't see us until we were right up on them. Of course he said hello and wanted Colton to ride in the buggy out to his truck. My exact words were "you're going to bring him back in when you're done?" and didn't really get an answer. That should have been a big red flag! Matt and I went on in and the lady at the check out counter looked (kind of confused) at Pat leave with Colton and then back at us and then she smiled.

Matt and I got the bolts we needed, took a stroll through the paint department to get some samples and headed back towards the check out. No Pat - no Colton. We get to the counter and the lady says "he didn't come back in with your kid". Matt said "it's okay - he's here somewhere".

I call Pat. Here's the conversation as I'm walking out to the parking lot:
Me "Do you have my child?"
Pat "Yep, we're going to see Papaw"
Me "Um, huh?"
Pat "Yeah, I've got bubby and we're fine, we're going to go to the sawmill"
Me "Um, you don't have a seat"
Pat "Oh yeah, I've got his seat. You left the Envoy unlocked so I got his seat. It's in my truck and we're ready to roll"

Once we're in the parking lot, I realize that he isn't kidding - he really did get the car seat out of the Envoy. Colton is waiting in the buggy as he finishes getting it buckled in. We walk up to the truck and here's the conversation:
Pat "it's okay if he goes, right?"
Me (looking at Matt) "it's almost his bedtime"
Pat "oh, well whatever you think. I'll bring him home"
Matt (handing him his trusty stuffed dog) "you're going to want this"
Me "he doesn't have a diaper or anything"
Pat "oh, we have a water hose at the mill"

So Matt and I went home child-less but got a delivery of one dirty, tired and happy little boy about 2 hours later!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining