A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

Forklift Operator
I don't know if there's anything more awesome than watching my child experience things that I got to experience in my childhood.

For those of you who know my family and my background, you know that I was raised in the mountains of Western North Carolina (and when I mean in the mountains - I mean literally, IN the mountains)! We lived on a dirt road near my Grandparents and my Uncle Pat and Aunt Teri. My family ran a sawmill and raised a small patch of tobacco, so my sister and I made lots of toys out of sawdust (makes great toppings for dirt pizza), mud (cupcakes), sticks, slabs, horse buggies and everything else we could get our hands on. We spent lots of time outside. Not only were we just outside playing, but we were learning to work and to be involved and interacting with our family. It was our life.


We don't live in the mountains of North Carolina anymore, but we live right over the hill, in Tennessee. My family still runs a sawmill and I love to take Colton out there to "play". The reasons I take him out there are because he is totally and completely obsessed with the great outdoors, anything that "vrooms" and his Papaw is his #1 buddy. More importantly I take him out there to interact with positive male role models (while his Daddy is working), to witness hard work, to get dirty and to experience some of the things I experienced as a child.


Don't look, Mimi
Sure, some people might think that having a 16 month old at a sawmill is dangerous - I don't disagree. Being around equipment can be very dangerous but it's our life, it's what I've always known. Part of that life involves learning the ropes, watching out for each other, taking care of each other and being responsible for pulling your weight and making sure everybody is safe! What did Colton learn today? He learned to be still when a truck is moving - wait and watch! How do I know he actually learned it you ask? I witnessed him do it this evening in our driveway! I'm so blessed with hard working men in my life (my Husband/Dad/Papaws/Uncles) who can show Colton that hard work, determination, trusting God and supporting his family can make a huge impact in his life.

Uncle Pat, Colton & Dad - ready to work
Today, Colton and I took one of our trips out to the sawmill. As I watched him interact with my Dad and Uncle Pat, I just smiled. I remember doing those same things with those same men. I'm so thankful that, even on their busiest/most tiring/most stressful/most everything-went-wrong days they have time for Colton. They let him walk when it would be much faster to carry him around the lumber yard, they let him hold the steering wheel even though he always turns right, they let him climb on them and hand them rocks and they ride on forklifts, in loaders, in trucks and on trailers. They let him be a boy and they do it with a smile.


Colton & Papaw
I know that I could never explain the relationship that I have with my Dad. The love I have for him is beyond words. My Uncle Pat is like a brother to me, I've been around him my whole life. I have worked beside both of them for several years and I'm blessed to live close enough to see them almost daily. The reason why I want to live near them? They have time for me. They ALWAYS have time for me. It doesn't matter what I'm doing, where I am or what I need, I can call one (or both) and there they are. I'm so thankful that the love they have for me is spilling over to my Son. It might sound silly, but I'm so grateful for the mountains, the sawmill and the family in Colton's life and even though he can't tell me in words, I know that he is too!
Lunch Time

Comments

  1. I loved this post!!! Such a tribute to your family and I know that you and Denise are blessed to grow up the way you did. All the people I know who know your parents and your grandparents have been blessed by them. I remember your Dad studying the Bible late into the night with us when I was in college...your mom too :) So glad to know we will all spend eternity together in heaven one day, praising our Savior for sharing His love with us so that we can share His love with our families and those we come in contact with in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was good for my soul. Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your family is amazing. The most loving, caring, and giving people I know. I love reading your blog. Thanks for sharing . It warms the heart'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not only did I read your words, I felt them. I feel the love in this great family. We are blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. :-) Thank you all! Colton's made me all emotional and he makes me realize how fast time is passing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Throwback Thursday

The Best Is Yet To Come