Compliments

Just a few years ago, if you saw me out (even at the grocery store), more than likely my outfit matched. This time of year, I probably had a cute tank that matched my shorts, flip-flops, makeup (maybe no makeup), earrings (I always had earrings) and my hair was -if not straightened- put together in a cute way. It didn't take a lot of time/effort to put myself together...or so I thought. It wasn't until I had Colton that I realized how much 'extra' time I had for myself. :-)

Now if you see me out, you would probably be thinking "poor thing, I wonder if she's feeling okay..."! I am lucky to get out the door with a shirt on that doesn't smell like spit up or have some type of "Colton stain" on it. If my top happens to match the capris or pants (I'm gradually allowing myself to wear a few pairs of shorts in public) I'm wearing, I consider that a small victory. There is absolutely zero chance that I will be wearing my hair in anything other than a pony-tail. No earrings either, those are just toys that conveniently dangle from Mommy's ears. There's a good chance that I'm not wearing makeup because, these days, I'm so sleepy that I forget I'm wearing it and once I rub my eyes, I look like not only a raccoon, but a tired one.

Needless to say, my outward appearance has changed somewhat over the past couple of years - but you know what? I don't even care. It's not that I don't care about how I look, it's just that I don't care what other people think. I have more important things to do than to stand in front of the mirror and make sure that my earrings match my shirt, or that every inch of my hair is straight or that my eye liner is even. I have a very busy boy who loves to play, be outside, wiggle, giggle, pull at my headbands and who brings so much joy to my life.

I know that it's important to make a good impression, and when it counts, I do! It used to make me feel so good when somebody would say "that outfit is really cute" or "I love your shoes" or maybe "cute earrings, where did you get those?". I don't really hear that many compliments (about myself) anymore. The compliments I hear today are "what a handsome little guy you have there", "that boy looks healthy", "you have such a happy baby", "I can tell that baby loves his Mommy" or "he smells so good, I can tell Mommy takes good care of you little guy". Before I became a Mom, you couldn't have convinced me that these compliments would give me so much joy...but I assure you, they are the best compliments I could ever receive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining