Colton-free Night

This past weekend, Matt and I left Colton with my parents for the first time overnight. Of course with Matt working out of town when Colton was first born, it wasn't his first night away from him but for me, it was. I was looking forward to / dreading it all week. Colton has entered that "clingy stage" (see previous post) so I was nervous that he was going to have a total melt-down on my Mom, but I was so excited to get away with just Matt for a night.

Friday night, Colton slept 12 hours (first time in the history of EVER). It was only the second night in (almost) 8 months that I have gotten at least 8 hours of sleep. It was pretty amazing to open my eyes and read 7:00am on the clock and not 2:30am! :-) Saturday morning, Colton was in a "so-so" mood. He was clinging to me as I was trying to get packed and loaded up. We finally had everything ready to go and it was time for the goodbye. I read an article about leaving a "separation anxiety kid" and it said to keep the goodbye upbeat, positive and short. So, that's what we did. I handed Colton to my Dad, gave my parents a hug, kissed Colton on the cheek, said "I love you, Mommy will see you soon". We got in the car, he gave me a big smile through the window and we drove away. I almost cried when I looked back and saw my Dad standing in the driveway holding him, BUT I knew that we had to do this sometime. I am totally comfortable with my parents keeping Colton, so I had no regrets, worries or second thoughts...I just knew I was going to miss the little booger.

Matt and I had "double booked" ourselves for the weekend. A girl that I have seen grow into a beautiful, young lady was getting married in Kentucky and we had our Fantasy Football Draft in South Carolina. As much as I hated missing the wedding (congrats Alyson), we decided to stay a little bit closer to home and enjoy a "Colton-free" night. We had nice weather on our drive down and we were there by 11:30 on Saturday morning.

After laying by the pool for a couple of hours, we headed to HOOTERS for our Fantasy Draft. Yes, I said Hooters. Apparently Hooters is one of the restaurants that will provide league players with a "draft kit" and a place big enough to accommodate everyone. We were there in the middle of the afternoon, so the restaurant was pretty much just us! With 10 players in our league this year, my sister's apartment wouldn't hold us all - and honestly, it was way more fun than I was expecting. Our draft kit had a big draft board so we could keep track of the rounds and players. The drafting got a little intense at times and everybody came prepared with stats and strategies. After a few hours, the draft was complete and I ended up with a fairly decent team! I said I was going to try not to talk about Colton during our draft, but that didn't work out. I was telling stories and sharing pictures all afternoon. It helped to take away part of the "missing him" feeling. :-)

Even though I was missing him, it was kinda nice to go to bed on Saturday night and know that I didn't have to listen for anybody - I could just sleep. And sleep I did. I woke up on Sunday morning and grabbed my phone first thing. I learned that Colton had a pretty good night too. Sigh of relief. Matt and I headed back to Greeneville around 11:30am. It was a gorgeous day and we had a great trip home.

Colton was in his swing when we got home. We could hear him giggling as soon as we got out of the car. My Mamaw & Papaw Bishop had come over and Colton was soaking up all the attention. He greeted us with a big smile! I'm so thankful for our loving family and I'm even more thankful that Colton is so comfortable with them. Sometimes Mommy needs a break and it's so much easier to get one when you trust the people caring for your baby while you're gone. A big thanks to Mom & Dad for allowing me to get away for a night. BUT, I'm back to "work" today and loving every minute of it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining