What about You?!?

During Colton's check-up yesterday, Dr. Woods and I had a good 5 to 7 minute conversation on just Me. At the time, I really didn't think much about it. She asked me if I was getting enough social interaction, do I have enough "me time", am I getting enough sleep, are Matt and I were getting away enough, am I was handling everything okay, etc... Dr. Woods has a way of holding a serious conversation while making me feel like I'm talking to my best friend. I forget that she is my Doc. It's so nice to get lost in conversation and just be open and honest about...anything! Now that I think back on that conversation, I am thinking a little deeper on my answers because these questions are ones that come up a lot -from lots of different people.

Do I get enough social interaction? Yes. I do. Do I go out with my girl friends on "girls night out" once a week? No. Do I have "date night" on the weekends? No. Am I okay with the fact that I don't "hang out"? Absolutely.

Do I have enough "me time"? Yes. I do. Do I have to just get away from Colton or I'm going to go crazy? No. Do I set aside a certain time of each day to just do something for myself? No. Am I okay with the fact that there are some days I'm not even in a room by myself for longer than an hour? Yes, because I was that kid at one point in my life. Do I crave time to myself at certain moments? Absolutely. But do I actually get enough "me time"? The truthful answer is yes, I do.

Am I getting enough seep? Yes (well, most of the time)! Colton has never been a great sleeper, but now that he is more active it is getting much better. Most nights he does sleep at least 8 hours. Is it hard? Yes. Is it frustrating? Yes. Is it my life? Yes. Do I love my life? Absolutely.

Are Matt and I getting away enough? Yes. Matt and I know that our time together is very important. People sometimes tell me, you really need to make sure that you get time with "just Matt". Like I don't know that?!? Matt works for 12 hours a day, almost every day, meaning that he is gone before Colton wakes up and getting home just an hour or so before he goes to bed. If Matt and I chose to have "our time" on the weekend, we could do that. We have so many wonderful people in our lives totally willing to keep Colton for us. What kind of time would that give Colton with Matt? The kid loves his Daddy time. So, yes, Matt and I get our alone time. When we need a date or a break, we take it. Is it sometimes only once every 4 to 5 months? Yes. Is that okay with me? Absolutely. Just because Colton is on our "date" sometimes, doesn't make it any less special - that is "our time"!

Am I handling everything okay? I don't know - what day is it? Nobody can handle everything "okay" every single day of their life. If you think you can - you're lying to yourself. Life is rough, not just for Moms. I feel like I handle things okay most days. Am I tired? Sure. Who isn't?

Within the past few weeks, I have had several people (Moms and non-Moms, alike) tell me "you really need to make time for yourself to keep yourself sane"! Oh, you're just in "Mommy mode". The truth is, my "sane" is my crazy life. To me, being a Mommy isn't a "mode" it's a way of life - it's my life! Being a Mom isn't a mode that I have to get into just to survive, it's a responsibility and a position that I take pride in. Sure, I need to be recharged now and again but I do not need to get away from my Mom responsibilities in order to be "free" or happy. My family is my freedom! My family is my happy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining