Nina Needs To Go Bye-Bye

Okay, so I really don't like to "bash" things here on "The Good Life" but I have to vent about something that has been bugging me. There is a semi new segment on Disney Jr. called Nina Needs to Go . The segment is only a few minutes long (like Choo Choo Soul or Big Block Sing Song) and is supposedly gearing toward teaching toddlers to use the bathroom. Please tell me some of you have seen this!!!! Ugh, every single time it comes on, I have to change the channel (and we don't even watch TV that often)!

So, the idea - I get. It's a little girl who doesn't use the potty when she is supposed to and then gets caught in a situation where she REALLY has to go.

The first problem - the little girl is NEVER made to at least try to use the potty before they go somewhere (granted, sometimes you sit kids on the potty before you leave and nothing happens, but at least you try).

The second problem - her grandma, "Nana" always swoops in on some cool gadget and saves the day. The Nana always flies with an umbrella, rides a motorcycle or skates her way through crowds of people and finds a way to get Nina to the bathroom just in time. It's totally unrealistic and in my opinion, teaching children that if they wait, it's okay because somebody is going to come to the rescue and get them to a bathroom. Yes, accidents happen and there are times when you really do get caught needing to go, but there is no fun, rescue team coming in to save the day!

The third problem - it's NEVER her parents that get her to the bathroom! When Nana says she will get her to a potty, they are just like "okay. cool, whatever".

The fourth problem - at the end of every show she says "that will never happen again" and guess what?!?!? She does it EVERY SINGLE TIME!

I'm so glad that the weather is getting warm and we can be outside and not spending our time watching TV. I know that I am just starting to deal with potty training, but I'm sure that it's not going to be ANYTHING like that show indicates!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining