German Shepherd Dogs

My family has always had a dog running around our house.Since I can remember, I've always had a german shepherd in my life. As a kid, we had Reno. Reno was a male dog and from what Mom and Dad tell me, he always watched out for me and my sister when we were out playing or hiking. After Reno passed on, we got Tonto. Tonto was another male dog. He was more active and hyper than I remember Reno being, but Tonto was a puppy when we got him (and I can't remember Reno as a puppy). Tonto disappeared on Halloween night back in 1992 or 1993 and we never saw him again. Then there was Samson. Samson was the most amazing dog I have ever been around. He was my Dad's dog really - for days my Mom had to feed him in the back of Dad's truck because he wouldn't get out (he was always ready to go). He was massive in size and had the sweetest personality (unless you were a groundhog or a skunk). Samson was tough and used up every bit of his strength protecting and loving us...right up until the very end. Samson lived to be 13 years old (for a German Shepherd is amazing) and I will never forget that faithful dog. It took several months for me to even think about getting another dog because I knew there was no dog that could replace Samson.



In the fall of 2008, I thought I was ready for another dog. I knew I wanted a German Shepherd but I wanted a female dog this time. I did research about where I could get a good female and I did some soul searching to see if I was really ready to take on the responsibility of a dog. Even though we always had a dog, I never had my OWN dog...it was a family pet and I didn't have sole responsisbility of caring for it. I decided that I would just go look at the puppies and then make a decision. In October, I found a local breeder who had a litter of German Shepherd puppies, all females were left over and they were just 6 weeks old. Matt and I walked in to take a look at the puppies and three of them were biting at each other, playing, running around and being puppies but one of them just walked over to us and laid down on Matt's foot. I leaned down and picked her up and she just stared at me with these innocent, scared, puppy dog eyes asking me "are you going to take care of me?". That was it - I had a new German Shepherd in my life. We learned that this special one we picked was in fact the runt of the litter. Even at 6 weeks old she had giant paws and the blackest face and little fat belly. We didn't care that she was a "runt" - she picked us - so we took her home.



Scout turned 4 in August of this year and I can't even explain the amount of joy she has brought to my life. She moved to Indiana with me (and back to Tennessee), she's been my bed buddy, my running partner, my house protection system, my travel companion and therapist. Scout is more than a dog to us, she is a part of our family. With us expecting our first child in December - I know that Scout is going to be a great big "sister" and protector for our little man. I hope she brings as much joy to his life as she has to ours.



 
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”  - Josh Billings

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining