Big Sister and Me

I look up to my older sister so much -- I always have. When we were kids, she was the one who helped me get my bike on the porch, when it was my turn to set the table, she got the dishes out of the cabinet for me because I couldn't reach them. She could aways beat everybody when we raced to the tree and back (even most of the boys). She always knew how to do EVERYTHING and she always had an answer for my questions (even if the answers weren't totally correct all the time). I just knew I had a best friend for life in my big sister.

As we got into our high school years, my sister and I had our arguments (like most siblings). We shared clothes, shoes, friends and secrets. There are times we wanted to kill each other but there are memories that I will never forget. One of my best years was spent as a sophomore in high school. We were on the Varsity Girls Basketball team at Tri Jr. Sr. High School. Our team was like a family -- and lucky me had my real sister right there with me. All the memories of hard practices and easy wins and long bus rides and hours of practice in our driveway and championships still bring an excitement to me. I got to share that with my sister and nobody will be able to take that away from me.

During our college years, we went to the same school but we went our different ways. She continued on her successful path in basketball and I followed by dream of dancing and joined the Bailey Mountain Cloggers. I could go days without talking to my sister but the minute somebody messed with me...she was right there! I have always known that no matter what our differences or where our paths lead us...she's always on my side and in my heart.

Once I found out that I was going to be having a baby, I was so excited to share the news with my sister. At first, I think she was in total shock (mostly because she realized that she was holding the stick I peed on) but more than that, she realized she was going to be an Aunt for the first time. My sister has always been an amazing sister but she hasn't always felt too comfortable with kids. She worries that she won't know how to be a good aunt -- I have no worries at all. She has already written the baby his first 2 letters (and they are the sweetest letters I have ever read). My sister is a natural at loving me and loving all aspects of what happens in my life.

I can't explain in words the relationship between sisters -- so unless you have a sister of your own, you might not understand the bond that I'm trying to talk about. It's a bond that's just felt and for me being the younger sister, I'm pretty sure I've felt it since birth. My sister is my rock and I can't imagine my life without her. I can't imagine my life without this wonderful woman!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining