New Floors

Moving into our new house has been so exciting but with all the unpacking, updating, projects and getting settled, I have to admit that I am exhausted.

This past weekend, Matt and I took on our biggest project yet - we replaced the carpet in our living and dining rooms with hardwood. The hardwood that we used is not the pre-finished kind, it's straight from the mill (literally). I knew this was going to be a big challenge for us for several reasons but the biggest being that we have a 10 month old "helping".

On Friday, I took on the challenge of ripping out carpet while Matt was at work . My Mom came over for about an hour to watch Colton which gave me time to get enough of the tack strip up to be able to manage the rest of that job with my little assistant. It took me most of the day but I was able to get the living room completely prepped for flooring to start.

On Saturday morning, we were at Lowe's by 8am getting everything we needed for our big project! Of course we had to stop and fuel up with breakfast at Sonic (I truly believe that Sonic has the best tater tots, ever). The day was going pretty well, but I was not able to help Matt as much as I wanted while trying to keep Colton occupied! My parents went  out of town to visit my sister but luckily, my Uncle Pat and Aunt Teri came by and offered to take Colton for the day. I can honestly say that if they had not taken him, we never would have gotten our floors done over the weekend.

With Colton gone, I was able to be the"sawman" and I cut all the pieces while Matt laid the floor. We made a really good team and (to my surprise) we didn't even argue. Colton was back home by around 5pm and by then we had all of the living room done and half of the dining room. After putting him to bed, I was able to help Matt again and by 11:30pm, we had a new floor!

On Sunday, we had to get up early and fill all the major cracks so that we could sand. The sanding process is a big job. Matt rented the stand up, floor sander and got to work. It took several hours for him to complete each room. My parents got back into town by afternoon and took Colton with them so that I could run the hand sander along the edges and get finished up (at least with that step). 
Before

On Monday morning, I was exhausted and we still had the step of applying the polyurethane. I had planned on putting a coat on and taking Colton to my parents house so that we didn't have to smell the fumes but the day just didn't go as planned. One thing after another, including me locking us out of the house (again), stabbing my toe open with the end of a scrap piece of lumber and Colton being Mr. grumpy pants. My Mom came to the rescue and let me in my house. Since I had to teach clogging, she took Colton and Matt was able to get the first coat on. Colton stayed all night at my parents house so that 1) he didn't have to breath the fumes all night and 2) I could put the second coat on Tuesday morning.
After

After a lot of work, I'm proud to say that our hardwood floors look great. I'm so proud that Matt and I worked together on our home and the end result was something so beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining