A Saturday Afternoon

Now that the news is "out" about the house - I feel like I can get back to sharing about my every-day events without fear of mentioning something I'm "not supposed to"! :-) I hope to keep a journal of our journey on finding/closing on/moving into/growing in our new home!

After our offer was accepted on the house, we shared the news with our immediate family members (they have been as anxious as we have and so supportive through this process). Of course I have been looking for any excuse(s) to drive by the house, so anybody that has wanted to see it has seen it. I had a feeling that the lady next door (our future neighbor) thought I was stalking their neighborhood because I was out there 5 out of 7 days last week - and she was outside every single time. I actually started looking away so she couldn't see my face as I drove by. Like she isn't going to know it's me as soon as she sees my car in the driveway - but I guess it made me feel better at the time.

Last Saturday, Matt had to meet the realtor at the house for an inspection. He asked if I wanted to go too. Duh! Matt, Colton and I were supposed to meet the realtor at 2pm, but of course I was so anxious that we got to the neighborhood between 1:30-1:45. Since we had time to kill, we just drove up and down the side streets, getting a little bit familiar with the surrounding area. I didn't feel as much like a stalker in Matt's truck because it was new to the neighborhood, unlike the Envoy! By the time 2:00 rolled around, Colton was sound asleep. The lady who owns the house was home on Saturday. I wasn't sure if Colton and I were going to be able to go in and look around since she was there, so Matt went in with the realtor to start he inspection and I had to wait (im)patiently in the truck until Colton woke up.

Matt came to the truck for a flashlight and Colton was awake, so he asked if we wanted to come in. Again, duh! :-) So, I took Colton in and we got to meet the current owner of our home. She is an older lady, a widow, a sweetheart and she welcomed us in with open arms. She told me that she was hoping she would get to meet "the people moving in". She said that the home had been so good to her family. She raised 5 children in that home and they are all grown with children and she went on to tell me that even those children have children! She told me about all the updating, remodeling, fun times, neighbors, animals that show up in the yard, plants she has in her flower beds and more. She even dug through her packed things to find a toy for Colton to play with. After visiting for a while inside, she and I went outside where she sat with Colton on the swing. She took me over to meet the neighbor lady and I found it the perfect time to apologize for stalking the neighborhood. We all laughed and they assured me that it was perfectly fine that I come out and look around all I want! We walked around the house and she told me all about the little raccoons that show up in her yard from time to time (I didn't tell her that Scout will probably eat them) and the hummingbirds that fly in and out. We went into the garage and she told me all about her husband and how he loved working with wood and that the shop area of the garage was his favorite place to spend his extra time.

As we got ready to leave, I gave her a hug and told he her "thank you" and I left there feeling like this home was meant for us - like she was passing it on to our family somehow. I know that probably sounds strange, but I left there feeling like I knew her and knew the love that was in that house. 35 years is a long time to live in a place and to be able to genuinely be excited to pass it along to someone else is something I admire in her. Even if something crazy happens and we don't get the loan finalized for this house (praying that doesn't happen), I am thankful for that visit last Saturday!



Comments

  1. Aahhh, if homes could talk what a story they would tell. I love hearing about this next step you and Matt are taking. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aunt Jennie, and are so excited!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining