Welcome Ryleigh

On Tuesday, we welcomed our sweet baby girl, Ryleigh Michelle, into this crazy, beautiful world. I had so many emotions leading up to Tuesday and couldn't really find the right words to express them but as soon as I saw her perfect little face I knew that the biggest emotion of all was love!

It all started at 4am on October 6th, when we checked into Takoma Regional Hospital. Part of my emotional confusion came with the fact that I had chosen to be induced again (which I swore after my experience with Colton I would NEVER do again. Just another lesson in "never say never" because you just never know). Anyway, here we were, checking in and getting ready for an amazing (all to familiar) experience.

By the time we got up to labor/delivery, settled in my room, preliminary paperwork filled out and IV started, it was around 5:15am. I started thinking about my decision of being induced. Was this time different? Was it going to be easier? Shorter labor? What if it's longer? Oh dear Lord, please don't let it be longer than Colton's delivery. Did I make the right decision? What if I need a C-section, am I ready for that? So many questions going through my head. And then, just as soon as they came, the questions were gone and I was totally at peace with my decision. There you are God, thank you! I decided to just enjoy and embrace this miracle as much as I possibly could (something I did not do with Colton).

Since I had already started to progress with dilation and thinning prior to check in, the morning went fairly quick and easy. Contractions came and went and I really was feeling good. My sister and Mom arrived around 8am and shortly after, I got a visit from Dr. Goodwin and that's when my water broke. Things were progressing well and around 11am I accepted the epidural that was offered. Less pain accompanied the epidural but so did a slower pace in my progression. Baby girl was dropping and we lost track of her heart beat a few times (the conclusion was that she was probably just laying on her cord) but overall, we were both doing awesome. Finally, around 2:30pm it was "go time" and the real work started. After about 20 minutes of hard labor, Ryleigh was here!

She weighed in at 7lbs 11oz and was 19.5" long and arrived with a good set of lungs, a head full of black hair, dimples and the most beautiful dark skin. We were in love all over again.

When I look back on my experience, I'm amazed. I have experienced the birth of a child before, but it still isn't any less amazing the second time around. All of my nurses, the anesthesiologist, Dr. Goodwin, the hospital staff....they are all top notch. Everybody took such great care of all of us and made our visit so easy and comfortable. I'm incredibly thankful for a loving God who had His hands on my baby long before I ever did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining