Mommy/Colton Time

At bedtime, I like to lay down with Colton for a few minutes. I started doing this when he moved to his "big boy bed". At first, I thought it was for him but I'm realizing that it's as much for me as for him.

Last night Matt asked me "Why do you lay in there with him? He needs to learn to go to bed by himself.". While I 100% agree that he does need to learn to go to bed by himself, the answer to the question "why do you lay in there with him?" is because that's my Colton/Mommy time. Colton is so busy all day. He never stops moving, doesn't want to cuddle, doesn't want me to hold him and has very little time to stop and have a conversation with me. Not only is he busy, but now we have another baby in the mix so I'm busy. I'm feeding, pumping, changing a diaper, fixing lunch, putting somebody down for a nap, short on my patience or doing a million other things. At night, it's calm and we talk. I'm at peace with all my attention on our time together with no other distractions. I get to see new words he's learned and get a glimpse into his little brain and the things he's learning and imagining. He asks me questions and tells me that he loves Me and his Daddy. We pray. We thank God for whatever he is thankful for that night. Usually he's thankful for Mommy, Daddy, Scout, Baby Sister, Mimi and Papaw's house and his dog. At night, I can stop and appreciate the boy he is becoming and tell him how proud I am of him and how much I love him.

There are nights when I don't feel like I have time to lay down with Colton. I need a shower, the dishes need to be washed, the living room needs picked up, there's always laundry to be done, Matt needs lunch made for work and I really need to just go to bed and sleep...but that time is a priority to me. It's precious to me.

Maybe some people will look at Colton as being needy or me spoiling him or me molding a kid that won't "self soothe" and go to sleep on his own but I look at it as memories being made. I will never get these moments back so I am going to soak them up for as long as I possibly can!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining