Talk to God

We don't go to church every Sunday (as much as we would like to) and Matt and I both are very much a "work in progress" when it comes to our daily walk, but we do our best to share our faith in God with Colton (and Ryleigh, too) in hopes that he will ask questions and grow his own relationship with Him. It's the faith that has kept us going over the past several years. God has blessed our family and He has brought me so much peace and comfort in times that were very, very hard. I want my kids to feel that peace and comfort and to know that that it comes from God's love for them!

My talks with Colton, involving God, started very early. As early as when he was in my belly, I would pray over him. Each night, when I was up feeding him, I would pray (out loud) over him. As he grew, I started saying prayers with him at meal times and at night. When Colton was finally able to put words together, he started saying his meal time prayers and then one night started thanking God for whatever was on his little heart and mind. Our bedtime prayer time is my FAVORITE time!

Colton has now moved into asking questions about God. Where is God? Is He in the moon? Where is Heaven? Is God coming down? What is praying?  It's amazing to hear myself put God into "kid terms". When I put it in words that Colton understands, it's so simple. Just talk to God. You know what's even more amazing? That's how our relationship with God should be - simple. Praying is just simply "talking to God". I think as adults, we make it so complicated.

Last night, I laid with Colton while he talked to God. He laid on his back and said "Mommy, God's up there" and pointed to the ceiling and his conversation went like this...

"Hey, God. Whatcha doing? Oh, you're eating supper? Are you drinking chocolate milk? Are you coming down? What, God? I should go to sleep? Ok. Thank you for my bed, God. Thank you for Mommy and Daddy too. Hey, God? Are you in the moon? Thank you for fixing baby sister's belly. What, God? I should go to sleep? Mommy, God's talking to me! Well, goodnight God. Mommy says I can talk to you tomorrow too. I love you, God. Goodnight".

Tears actually ran down my cheeks as I laid there and listened to Colton's talk with God. So innocent. So sweet. So pure. It was precious. I'm thankful for Colton's sweet soul because, since before he was born, I have prayed for just that. I have prayed that God would guard his heart and make it good and kind. We have a long road ahead of us and many years of distractions/temptations/evil to battle, but I'm thankful for the innocence and goodness right now. I have faith in God and I continue to pray that Colton's light will continue to shine!!!

Comments

  1. God says we should become.like children if we are to make it to heaven. I believe This is exactly what he was talking about. Pure and simple. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God says we should become.like children if we are to make it to heaven. I believe This is exactly what he was talking about. Pure and simple. Loved this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining