Moving In and Getting Settled


Monday – October 14, 2013
So, a LOT has happened since my last post. On Friday, October 11, we closed on our new home! We are officially home owners in Greeneville, Tennessee (insert big sigh of relief). Since closing, we have been busy, busy, busy getting moved in and settled – which is a big part of why I am so behind on my updates!

After closing at 3pm on Friday, we pulled one of (the many) loaded trailers over and started the move-in  process. We did not get our bed moved over on Friday so we didn’t spend Friday night at our new house. All day Saturday, we had loads and loads of “stuff” coming in to the house. Since we had so many things in storage over the past year and half, it was like Christmas every time I opened a new box. I had no idea we had so much crap. There is no way we could’ve gotten moved over the weekend without the help of my amazing family!!!
We love our house and we’ve already started taking steps toward making it our home. The house needs so many updates and we’re just taking it a step at a time (I’m so impatient and want it all “fixed” right now)! Our first “order of business” was to make sure that Colton had room that he was comfortable in and help make his transition a little less stressful. On Saturday, during move-in, my Aunt Teri spent all day steaming off the pink, flowered, wall-paper border that was in Colton’s new room. If she had not done that long, tedious, annoying job for me, Colton would probably still not have his “boy room”.  Since she was able to get that done, Matt and I were able to paint the room that evening/night. Saturday night was our (Matt and I) first night in our new house. Colton stayed all night with Mimi and Papaw so we could get his room ready. By Sunday morning, Colton had a new room.
Our next major project on the house will be transforming the living/dining area. Currently, the area is floored with rose colored carpet, and while that might be perfect for someone else’s home, it’s just not my style! Thankfully, I know a place to get some really great hardwood flooring and have a really awesome Daddy and our goal is to get that laid within a week or two!

Wednesday – October 16, 2013
Our house is located in a little neighborhood with lots of kids. I love that we live in a family-oriented community. All of the kiddos on our street have come to welcome us, introduce themselves and tell us all about the area. I have learned all about the “word on the street” from these kids. So far, all of the kids have been so polite, well-mannered and sweet. Colton and Scout have both been big hits.

Today, it was a gorgeous day and I was able to do some work outside. When we bought the house, there was a huge, overgrown bush covering the entire front porch, there were vines growing up the side of the house by our big, picture window and the flower beds had been totally taken over by grass and weeds. Thanks to the sweet, neighborhood kiddos keeping Colton busy, I was able to clear all of the front beds and get them mulched. I have a lot more work to do this Spring, but I’m very happy with the progress made to the front of our house!

Sunday – October 20, 2013
We had our first overnight guests on Friday! Matt’s sister, Dani, our nephew Hunter and Matt’s Grandma Swim drove down from Indiana and on Saturday, Matt’s Mom flew in from Texas. They have all been spending the past couple of days with us. Today, we had lunch at Cracker Barrel and then stopped by Myers Pumpkin Patch. It was a beautiful day and Colton had a great time seeing all the pumpkins, “driving” the old tractor with Daddy and spending the day with his Mamaw Paula, Great Grams, Aunt Dani and Hunter.


Monday – October 21, 2013

Today, Matt’s Mom helped me with another project. We took down the wall-mounted mirror above the fireplace and painted! Prior to painting, the wall behind the fireplace was white and dingy from age. I’m amazed at how the chocolate colored paint really helped the white fireplace to stand out. That’s exactly what I was hoping for. I love that something as simple as painting a wall can make such a different and I’m so happy to knock out another home project.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining