Just Make the Bed

I am notorious for having a messy bedroom. When I was a little girl/teenager, it looked like my room threw up clothes (and all other kinds of odds and ends) everywhere. In fact, it was so bad that when anything was missing in the house, my parents would say "look in Renee's room" and sure enough, it was (more times than not) in my room. I can keep my entire house clean...except my bedroom.

As I've gotten older, I have come to realize that it's really not as much my bedroom, as the closet area. Until we built the house we live in now, I have never had a walk-in-closet (WIC). Not only have I not had a WIC, but Matt and I have never had a "master suite" with our own bathroom. SO, when we designed our house, we wanted to have both a WIC and a big master bathroom.

Our master suite is designed where you walk into our bedroom and then turn into a little hallway that has my WIC on the left and Matt's on the right. and then you walk into the actual bathroom area with my sink on the left and Matt's on the right. I thought having a WIC would solve all my messy bedroom problems. Turns out, it doesn't. I have a pile of clothes in front of my sink area that are too clean for the dirty clothes basket but too dirty to go back in with the "real clean" clothes. Anybody else have this problem? I have piles of clothes in the floor of my WIC that I have tried on and I'm still in the decision making process (you know 1. am I going to fit in that again? 2. is this going to come back in style? 3. do I ever actually where that...4. should I really even bother putting this back up...you get the idea). So, those clothes just lay there until I decide to just hang them all back up and go through this process again in a week or so. Why do I do this?

SO - if the WIC is not solving the issue, what's the real problem? I have discovered that making my bed solves my problem. When my bed is un-made, I don't care if the rest of the room/WIC/bathroom just explodes. The bed's already a mess so who cares if there are a few shirts on the floor, right?. BUT, if I make my bed and it looks neat and clean, I don't want anything else to take away from that and I pick things up and put them away.

Making my bed every morning seems like such a small and insignificant thing but it literally changes my mood and sets the tone for my entire day! I can't help but compare my bed-making to "real life". It's easy to let one choice turn into a series of negative things that build up and become a messy lifestyle. Just make the bed and the positive/encouraging/hope-filled choices will follow!

Comments

  1. I've discovered this too. Making the bed is like zipping your pants after dressing. It completes the morning. 😘

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining