Love over hate. Fix instead of blame.

People are upset. Everywhere I look, people are upset. It's been almost a week of the non-stop (not-so-friendly) banter. As I watched the inauguration of our new President, I had a lot of mixed feelings. I felt sad that so much negativity was surrounding the transition. I felt so extremely proud to be an American and proud that we are able to have such a strong and united change of power. I felt excited for a fresh vision and new ideas. I felt scared at how easily people are persuaded to believe something with no effort to research or verify information. I felt grateful that we live in such a place, where we can voice our opinions. Out of all these feelings I have been experiencing over the past week, the biggest one is a sense of peace. Weird that I feel peaceful at a time like this, but I totally do.

People are putting so much responsibility and expectation on Donald Trump. He is just a man. He's a man just like Barack Obama and George W. Bush and Bill Clinton and George Bush and Ronald Reagan and Jimmy Carter and (you get the idea). No matter who is president, Jesus Christ is still Lord and Savior. We need to remember that. No man is perfect. No president is perfect. Only by the grace of God are we able to navigate this life. If we remember that we are all imperfect human beings and we lean on the love and guidance of Christ, it will all be okay.

There will always be differences in opinion, values and beliefs. That is what makes America so great. I'm all for agreeing to disagree but what I'm not okay with, is the blame game. I am so tired of people blaming. The schools aren't teaching our kids. The government isn't providing xyz. The media isn't giving me the correct information. The church isn't fulfilling me. My friends don't include me enough. There are so many people blaming instead of looking inside and fixing.

The truth is, everything starts with one. It starts inside each of us. It starts by searching our hearts. Once our hearts are in the right place it extends to our immediate family and our household. It starts with pouring that love and faith into the ones we hold most dear instead of lashing out to the ones we don't agree with. Once the household is full of that love, compassion and grace, we have a small "army" and we can go out into the world and be the lights and voices that we are meant to be. We can't blame the schools for not teaching our kids. It's our responsibility to ask questions, find the answers and help our children. I've never seen a government bigger than God and His provision. If you want the correct information, dig a little deeper. Don't rely on the "breaking news" just because it might be "first" doesn't mean it's 100% correct. Our pastor can't inject the love of Jesus into our veins, he/she can only speak the words that God puts on their hearts and we have to come with open hearts and minds and allow Jesus to work through us.

Over the past few years, I've grown a lot.  I've matured in my faith, I've matured in my role as a wife and I've matured into motherhood. Something I have come to realize is that I can only control two things, where my heart is and how I treat others. I can't put my trust in a human being. Whether it's my husband, my kids, my friends or my President. I can't put my trust in a human. I have to put my trust and my faith in my God. When I keep my priorities straight, it brings the sense of peace that I'm experiencing.

I see people crushing relationships because they can't agree or friends fighting because of difference of opinion. I see people lashing out and saying hurtful things (things they would never say face to face) because they can hide behind a keyboard. I see the loss of innocence in our children at too early of an age. I see disrespect, hatred and intolerance. Where does it stop? When does it end? It stops when each of us chooses love over hate. It ends when each of us choose to fix ourselves instead of  blame others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining