My Boy

I am finding that understanding Colton’s brain is impossible. I don’t understand why certain things are hilarious, I don’t understand what makes him tick and what makes him happy and how there is such a fine line between the two. I don’t understand (but embrace and appreciate) his mechanical mind. I am amazed at the challenges that come up every single day. Just when we overcome one hurdle, we hit another! I knew this was going to be a learning process, from start to finish, but I guess I didn’t really understand what that learning process was going to entail.

I have done a lot of research on the “terrible two’s” because I dread it so bad. Dr. Woods informed me that we might already be in the stages of that now (Colton has done everything early, from popping his first tooth through at 5 months old to walking by 11 months). If we are, in fact, in the start of our terrible years, maybe they will go as quickly as they have come! I’m just making it known right now, terrible two’s are not welcome in my home – so don’t make yourself comfy!!!

I reached out to the social media world (i.e. my friends on Facebook) for suggestions on new books to read. I love to read books about raising boys. I love hearing other people’s experiences and knowing that I’m not alone on this journey. I take raising a son very seriously. Some people say, boys will be boys and I totally agree, but my son is going to become a man and I have a HUGE influence on how that man turns out. I got suggestions for the book “Wild Things” (by Stephen James and David Thomas) and I started in on Sunday. So far, I love it!!

 Colton and I have made some new friends through a Mommy group here in town. Isabel is a few months older than Colton and we have probably spent the most time around her and her Mom. She and Colton play on about the same level…except that Isabel is so dainty and quiet and Colton is running around throwing dirt and sweating like a pig. Isabel can sit on the swings for several minutes and be happy as a lark. Colton hits one swing for about 30 seconds, moves to the next swing for about 30 seconds, jumps off of that swing (while it’s still moving) and hits the slide! Isabel is potty trained, says please and thank you and will sit and listen during story time! Colton is rough and rowdy and although he is learning “peez and tank-do”, I sometimes look at Isobel like she is an angel. Somebody with boys, please explain to me why Colton feels the need to THROW EVERYTHING!!! That, my friends, is the difference in boys and girls.

I know that Colton doesn’t sit still during the entire story hour. I know that it takes all the patience his little body has to sit still in a chair while we eat dinner as a family. I know that he has more important things to do than sit in a car seat as we travel from place to place. I sometimes get frustrated that he doesn’t have more patience but then I think, maybe I’m just frustrated at myself for not having more patience with him!

I love that Colton is all boy. I love that he is dirty, sweaty, his feet stink, he is a do-it-himself kind of guy. I love that he runs and jumps and can tell the difference between a tractor and a backhoe. I love that he loves all things manly. I love that he doesn’t come crying with drama when he falls down, but just brushes it off and keep on trucking. I love that, at the end of the day, he loves on his Momma and gives me goodnight hugs. I love that even though I don’t understand his little mind, and probably never will, I love him with all my heart!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining