Colton + Counseling

2020 has had an impact on our kids and I want to be careful not to just throw a "kids are resilient" sticker on them and call it a day. They are resilient and they need to learn to adapt and cope to change, but they're also human beings, navigating challenging waters with big emotions. Helping them learn how to manage those feelings is really important, and something Matt and I have made a priority over the past several months.

People usually flinch when the word "counseling" comes up. Counseling? Oh no, what's wrong? We're human... that's what's "wrong". I was afraid of counseling for a long time, because I didn't have a good understanding of it. I was too busy puffed up in pride and "we've got this" to find out. (Side note: I don't believe all counseling is created equal and I'm a firm believer in Godly, Bible-based counseling over other kinds but that's my personal opinion). I was afraid of counseling for my kids because I didn't want people to "label" them. I don't know what I was afraid of them being labeled as. Human? Imperfect? Sinners? People in need of help? We're all those things, so I'm so thankful that I laid down my pride and took a step towards learning more. I believe that, as God granted Moses elders to help oversee the people, we too can support our children by surrounding them with gospel-centered, Bible-believing counselors to disciple them.


Today, Colton wrapped up this year's sessions with our family counselor. We enjoyed lunch together, just the two of us. We were able to talk and laugh and just enjoy our time together. This time has done wonders for him. It's helped him learn how to look for bright spots in darkness, understand that he can't control his feelings but he is responsible for how he handles them and that being afraid is ok, he just can't live there. He doesn't feel "weird" for talking about how he feels and he looks forward to the time there and the new nuggets and suggestions he gets. Surprisingly, I'm not embarrassed to say that we took our 7 year old to a counselor. I actually feel obligated to share that we did, so that if you've been wondering "could I or my child benefit from Godly counsel?" it might be worth some research. 


As we have looked for ways to help Colton navigate this hard season of life, we’ve found some strength and encouragement in knowing that God cares for His children, even when (maybe even especially when) they're suffering. In knowing that, we have seen that His care can come through different people and resources and show up in ways we never expect. We have a long way to go as we continue through these parenting waters, but what I've learned so far is how important it is to be focused on God and His truths. To lay down our expectations. To be still. To be humble. To be obedient.  In doing those things, the crazy puzzle of life might just start to come together.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining