Books

Colton is so interested in books! I love that he has this interest and hope it's one that continues. I don't consider myself a "reader". It's not that I don't enjoy reading or that I'm a poor reader, I just don't find too many books that keep my interest. I'm really not a fan of fiction but I do enjoy a good autobiography or biography. The truth is, I need to read more often and it is a goal of mine for this year. Now that Colton has somewhat of a scheduled nap, I have made some time for reading. The books that I have been reading have mostly been about raising children, parenting or marriage, so I can relate and it's enjoyable.


I have to say that I have come to find that reading books on parenting/kids can be as harmful as helpful if taken too seriously. Before Colton was born, and even when he was an infant, I found myself feeling stressed out that things weren't going the way "the books" said they should. I realized very quickly that I was not a "by the book Mom" by any means. I also learned that these books are one person's opinion and it obviously works for them and may work for someone else. The books are a great guideline and reference and it is helpful to look at situations from another woman's (and sometimes man's) point of view.

I try to find books that are written by individuals who have similar interests and religious beliefs as myself. I believe that God's word is truth and I try to use His teachings as a guideline. There are tough decisions to be made as a parent and I rely heavily on faith, instinct and prayer to help me with the answers to those decisions. I feel like reading books based on these same principles helps me to feel encouraged.

I just finished a book called "that's my son" by Rick Johnson. This book was (obviously) written by a man and had so many great points. I love that he explains the principle and basic differences in males and females. It's really important for me as a Mom, raising a son, to not only know these differences but to learn more about, understand and respect them. Sometimes I get scared, thinking about raising a boy to be a man. In our society, the lines are all blurred and so many things that were once black and white have, quickly, faded to gray. Our society presents a lot of challenges for a male and we have an alarmingly low number of real men to help guide our young boys. I'm so lucky that Colton has good men in his life to help guide him.

I know that as a parent, I'm supposed to set a good example for my child but I feel like Colton is being a good example for me. Watching his growing interest in books and learning has really opened my eyes. He is a sponge and it is critical that everything I say and (more importantly) do is setting a good example. The decisions I make will influence him. The people I allow him to associate with, will influence his life. I want to choose wisely. I'm so thankful that I have a strong, loving, Godly family of support and love around us and I'm thankful for Colton's innocence and love of learning...it's refreshing!

Comments

  1. The part about being a sponge is so true. I say forget about the books and the worrying and just raise him by YOUR standards. I believe he will turn out a fine man. Sorry Rennie, I gotta go anonymous, cause I don't know how else to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Sawmill - Good for the Soul

The Best Is Yet To Come

Brining